Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 or sm465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poorboy411, May 8, 2005.

1. poorboy411

poorboy411 Registered Member

hey yall i have 83 k5 with a solid 350 engine and th350 tranny but would it be worth the trouble to swop to a sm465. i like the sound of the lo gear (by the way i have access to a cheap sm465 thats why im asking) but wandering bout if its worth taking out a good th350 for thanks for any advise.

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind you need a transfer case to go with that 465. I'm not sure if one off a th350 will fit. I'm doing the same swap on my 79 because I hate autos unless I'm driving 2,000 miles through mountains. Your best bet is to find a scrapped vehicle with the tranny, tcase, pedals, and steering column if you want to swap that too. I found my entier donor truck for $400 and it came with 3/4 ton axles, 4.10 gears, and gov lock which will get me by until I can afford military 1 ton axles and put the 3/4 ton ones in my DD.

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I have a SM465 that I think is awesome. If you are going to be doing alot of highway driving I would also consider a NV4500. :grin:

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't have a 465 but if I had all the parts available I would definately do the swap. Its easier if you have the whole truck because your gonna need the pedals, flywheel, clutch, tranny, tcase, driveshafts, and a lot of other little things. If you've got to find the rest of the parts, look for the hydro clutch assembly.

5. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I will be doing this swap in a couple months. Takin out the 700r4/NP208. My rig has kept getting to be more and more of a trailered rig so no more highway driving long trips to wheel. No need for the OD now!! I like the 465's. Had a few previous vehicles with 'em. I am going hydro with my current rig, and luckily I have all the parts now, but I am waiting on my new shop to be built so I can have a place to turn wrenches.

Clay

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

465's are the best, i ditched the th350 in my truck fore one, and now its going into my s10

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

you can never win. I have the sm465 and sometimes wish it was a th350. I love the stick around town but for offroad I like an auto

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I swapped, but I also swapped x-case to a 205,best move yet....:)

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm doin the very same swap prolly next week as it's supposed to be a little cooler as in all the way down to 100. Have all the parts just have to do it. Just had no desire to do the swap in 110 weather.

Hopefully not gonna run into to many issues. Prolly will though. :crazy: