Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 out of a van

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got a hookup on a freshly rebuilt TH350 out of an 85 chevy van (I think 85 is the year). If I unbolt the tailcone part, will this transmission bolt up to my 205. I have a TH350 already. If there are some variables in the situation, what would they be... what can I check for when I'm pulling this tranny out to see if it will work? thanks in advance for any help...

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

you have to replace the output shaft with the one from your 4wd trannie. that means taking both trannies appart. not too hard to do though. i converted a fresh 2wd trannie to 4wd that way. only took a couple hours. had the ron sessions handbook too. well worth it if the van trannie is good. get some assembly greese so you can line up all the clutch packs easy. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt the one that is in the truck, but the case was pretty trashed (had to put about 15 helicoils in it). The one in the van was professionally rebuilt about 2000 miles ago, and I can have it for free as long as I pull it out of the van (I can have the motor too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) do you happen to know how much a new 4wd output shaft for it would cost, I'd like to put the new shaft in it and still be able to drive the truck.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

have no ideal on a new one. just go find a junkyard trannie or a dead one someone is selling that has the output shaft you need. you should never pay more than 100 bucks for dead th350. if you look you'll probably be able to find one for next to nothing. i believe you can use a trannie that had a 205 or a 203 behind it. both used the short output shaft.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Now that I think about it I have a parts th350 sitting in the back of my truck. I robbed the input shaft from it, but the output shaft should still be there.... hell yeah