Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 problem Help I'm stuck at work.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Jun 22, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What could be the cause of tranny fluid blowing out of the dip stick on a TH350. I checked the level and it read fine but maybe I put the wrong tube and stick on it? Its like building back pressure when its winding down. I just had to pull the fire extinguisher in my work parking lot. Help me please.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The vent is probably clogged.
    The way to check is you can blow air down the dipstick tube. if tranny fluid comes gushing back out the tube then the vent is clogged. if you just hear air escaping from the top of the tranny then it is coming out of the vent. get someone to crawl under your truck and make sure air is coming out of that vent on the top drivers side of the transmission case..
    If the vent is clogged, then you can get something like a paperclip or wire and shove it up the vent tube, then blow air down the dipstick tube again to try and clear it out.

Hope this helps you out!

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Assuming that you are checking the fluid level with engine running in park then maybe the vent is clogged.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK I checked the vent tube. I don't know if it was clogged but I did dig around in it. I hooked a flexable tube to the dip tube and forced air through it. After the secound breath I could hear air coming from the vent hole. I could even hear it while standing on the pass side at the dip tube. Then I let it run and get warm checked the fluid and its atleast a quart low now. I tried my same test as earlier where I put it in drive and held the gas and brake. Earlier it spat fluid out the dipstick, this time there was no fluid coming back up. Either its fixed or I'm just that low on fluid. I'm going to put a quart in it and try to make it home tonight (3 miles). I'll post up again if the problems contiues. Thanks guys.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

well hopefully you just cleared out the crud that was plugging your vent.
    i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...
    keep your fire extinguisher handy. I had the same thing happen, puking tranny fluid is no good, it took 2 small extinguishers to put out the fire under my k5. :crazy:
    Ever since i always keep an extinguisher within arms reach.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a funny one. installed a tranny and it would put fluid out vent. so hooked up bottle to it. then would use it to fill back up tranny. couldnt figure it out. was ready to reman it with seals and gaskets. went on trip for 8 hours with car trailer and full size car on it. got there and no more leak out vent to this day. dont ask me why. just glad its gone.