Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZK5, May 2, 2000.

1. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

The dipstick on my TH350 is pushed out about 2" every time I open my hood. Does anyone know what causes this? I'm not having any other problems other than it takes awhile to go into reverse after I shift the lever.
    CB

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

are you leaking tranny oil, if you are than you might want to check the oil level, same thing happened to me once I didn't notice that I was leaking tranny oil and when I shifted in reverse it was taking about 30 seconds to shift I thought my tranny was gone when I checked the oil level it was too low pour some oil and the problem was gone, hope your problem is similar and you wont need a new tranny good luck.

keep blazin !!!

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

CB...never heard of a dipstick poping out yet...don't recall if you have the new style stick that locks when i had my head under your hood lookin around sunday...lol. On the reverse problem...unless your fluid level is low get ready to have the tranny built...sorry.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    You may want to check your diff. vent. I had a 350 that did the same thing. But it only did it when racing. It pissed off the officials on the track. There was always a line of tranny flid about 1/3 of the way down the 1/4. That and the side road. If I remember correctly, when I had the trans rebuilt, I put in a lower stall converter. I don't remember the numbers, that and a short term fix was to duct tape the damn thing in.

I bet only happens after your on the throttle doesn't it?!?!?!?!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like the vent is plugged and it has to vent somewhere so it's poping the dip stick. There is a vent on the driveside near the top almost directly in line with the shift linkage. It may be that when you got rebuilt the fool RTV'd the hole closed. It is supose to have a little cap do hicky like the vents on the axles. Mine was busted when I rebuilt mine and I found some plastic hose barbs in the help section that fit snug. I used some gasket sealent to hold it in and ran a vent hose up the fire wall. I then took a cheap gas filter as an end so that it could breath but keep the dust down.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper