Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Problems....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Feb 6, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Time once again to draw from the well of knowledge known as C K-5!

I am have a question regarding my TH350. When I first start the Jimmy everyhting is fine, but.....after a while and especially while sitting a a bunch of stop lights, when I take off the tranny slips. If I let it roll forward for a couple of feet or back off the gas and then get back into it, the tranny runs fine. The idle on the carb is a litttle high and I am wondering if the high idle could be the cause or maybe tranny temp could be causing it? Worst case senario, tranny on the way out, and I hope not!
    Thanks,

Gee your a fart smeller, Oh, I mean a Smart Feller!

2. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I don't think has anything to due with the idle. This may be hard to due in traffic, but when it slips, try to shift to reverse and see if that works. Probably not much difference since similar clutch packs. It could be leaking past a piston seal after the fluid warms up. Or maybe a crack in a piston. I will have to go check the gear / clutch chart for the first gear stuff. I think that it is the forward clutch pack.

A friend of mine's TH350 went out in his Blazer after it broke the drum. Only had forward and not reverse. Yours is probably just getting ready for a rebuild.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. If it's cooked it'll smell burnt. Maybe try putting a swab on paper next to a swab of clean fluid to compare.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt