Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 puking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DERBINATOR, May 17, 2004.

1. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

Why would my tranny puke fluid out the dipstick? For a while it only done it if I took off with out leeting the truck warm up first but this weekend while wheelin it done it a couple of times. Seemed to be right after climbing a hill or out of a steep gully.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

in my expierence it is either the vent tube is clogged up or u need a tranny cooler.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea what he said, when the fluid gets hot it expands and if it can't let air out the vent, fluid comes out of the dip stick.

i would unplug the vent and put a cooler on it.

4. DERBINATOR

I'll be checking the vent tonight. As far as the coolers I am running 2 of them. It was also cool out ,50 degrees or so, with a lot of stopping and shutting the truck off to watch but I'll take a look at them tonight also.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bingo. venting problem... First off, I hope you have your fire extinguisher next to you if your driving with this problem... It took 2 small extinguishers to put out my fire when my tranny puked out the dipstick. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Stick a hose down the dipstick and blow compressed air down the dipstick tube.. watch out because fluid will probably come flying back out the dipstick if your vent is clogged.... have someone listen and feel down where the vent is to see if it is venting....
    Did you rebuild it or have it rebuilt recently? I rebuilt mine before and somehow got the tranny oil pump gasket backwards so that all the passages lined up except for the vent hole... I had the same problem as your describing.. I saved someone else's ass on here by telling them to stick a piece of wire up the vent maybe 12" far enough to puncture a hole in the gasket so it will vent... saved the hassle of pulling the tranny and replacing the pump gasket.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Get it fixed and carry a fire extinguisher! Tranny fluid + hot exhasut manifolds = engine fire.

How do I know this? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get it fixed and carry a fire extinguisher! Tranny fluid + hot exhasut manifolds = engine fire.

How do I know this? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there done that bought the T-shirt /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. DERBINATOR

Finally got to check the vent last night. I pulled the pastic vent off and there was a fair amount of dirt and crud in it but I think it was still venting. I also shot air down the dipstick and air came out the vent hole just as fast as it went in the dipstick. Any other ideas???

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I know this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been there done that bought the T-shirt

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother! The PO of my Chalet had a cheap rebuild, and part of the hardline from tranny to cooler was done up with rubber hose /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ... which was rubbing against the exhaust manifold /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

It vulcanized and cracked (duh!) and voila! the Chalet becamse a smoke generator.

OTOH, after towing it home (AAA cards rule! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif ) it cost me a buck to replace the hose and carefully run it out of the way of the exhaust, until I can figure out the karmatically correct way to fix it.

Without the fire extinguisher, I would have lost the truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Finally got to check the vent last night. I pulled the pastic vent off and there was a fair amount of dirt and crud in it but I think it was still venting. I also shot air down the dipstick and air came out the vent hole just as fast as it went in the dipstick. Any other ideas???

[/ QUOTE ]

pulled what plastic vent off?
    on my previous th350 case there was a 90 degree metal tube that came out of the vent that you could hook up a hose to. Now i don't have anything but a hole there, probably a good idea to tap it with a NPT tap and install a brass barb fitting to hook a vent hose up to for water and mud crossings...
    You said there was some mud and crud in the vent... did you clean it all out? break it up and blow some more air down the dipstick tube to blow it outta the vent... If your vent line is totally clean now and you said air is coming out just as fast as it is going down the dipstick, then you should not have a venting problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I just got a 24" firewall mounted lokar dipstick that i'm going to install... it has 2 orings where it goes in the tranny and 2 o rings for the top of the dipstick into the tube... this way i will eliminate my leaky dipstick at the tranny.. and it will be sealed up good for (if) the next time i put my truck on its side. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif