Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 pump problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Aug 7, 2002.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

My tranny started making a terrible hi pitched wining the other day and i was wondering if it could be the oil pump in it. Apperantly one of the tranny lines got crimped pretty badly and i took a drive on the highway cruising at arund 65 for a good 1.5 hrs. I didn't notice the noise till i got off the highway and slowed down (i can't hear much over my exhaust cruising at those rpms). It doesn't start wining till it gets good and warm, at least 10-15 minutes, and when you shut it off you can hear change pitches as it slows then shuts off. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be, i was thinking i might have starved the pump and burned it out. It still drives with out any other noises or problems( no grinding, slipping, etc), not that i've moved it farther then from the street to the garage. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hard call till you pull it appart. Might be a bad converter if your sure the noise is comming from the tranny. The converter would stop as soon as the engine quits turning. The internal part of the converter would still spin for a few seconds. It would also spin the pump. I would drop the pan and see if you find any metal shavings. Dark piles of crud is clutch. your looking for metal. You see metal I would pull it out and pull the pump and inspect it for damage. At that point you have to decide where to go. If I had it appart and it was mine I would rebuild it. if it had a fair amount of miles. Rebuild kit is about $125 including a rebuilt converter from Delta automotive . they can also sell you a pump.
    http://www.delta-transparts.com/

3. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I thought it might be the torque converter at first and replaced it, still had the same problem, i've pulled the pan and the fluid was still bright red. There was minimul buildup on the bottom of the pan. I also had the tranny rebuilt about 7000 miles ago (unfortunately this was also 3 years ago and the warrenty is void). I've also never worked on a the internals of a automatic and am somewhat hesitant to try a rebuild my self. But if the pump isn't too hard to replace, i will take a wack at it. Thanks