Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

a friend was looking at the one I've got and went nuts over it.something about the rarity of a 4x4 trans. with a "universal" bellhousing:dunno: does this make sense to anyone?please explain.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Universal meaning it's got the bolt holes to bolt up to (almost) all GM engines. Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac AND Chevy. That'd be 8 holes vs. the 6 for either Chev motors, or the "others" collectively.

I'd say it would be pretty rare to find a universal 350 in a 4WD app, not so uncommon in cars.

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

well,it's got the 8 holes,bolted to a 205 t-case,originally backing a sb 400 out of an '80 1/2t. lwb p/u.so,I probably should hang on to that then?

4. dyeager535

I don't see why, only worth something to someone that would be interested in putting a non-Chev engine in a truck. And a 350 is not as valuable in that application as a TH400.

Someone might want it, and it is rare IMO, but rarity doesn't mean it's worth anything. :)

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it a K case trans or just a uni car trans converted for a truck though?

6. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

all the different non-chevy engines that i come across that would be worthwhile to put into my truck,i can now do so if only because i can.:wink1: if it's true that it'll bolt to all(or most) gm blocks,bb and sb.and i'm not interested in it's value to anyone else,anyway.i'm not going to sell it,regardless.just to clear this up:will it bolt to a big block.buick,olds,caddy,chevy

7. dyeager535

Yes.

Again though, you are dealing with a TH350, not a TH400. I'd be a bit skeptical of strength just bolting it up behind even a stock 455 Olds or 454 Chev motor, especially in a truck application. (talking stock TH350, they can be built plenty strong)

8. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

it'll be built strong.when the time is right.what about a SYE kit for the 205.wher do i find one?

9. dyeager535

I'd say any non-SY 205, (just swap the output shaft and housing, plus the yoke) but I think northwest fab or another vendor here can sell the parts as well.