Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suzukirider85, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Suzukirider85

Suzukirider85 Registered Member

i have a 1975 K-10 pickup w/a 350 engine and a th350 tranny. what is the recomended tranny fluid to use? Typr F or dexron/merkron /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

dexron is what would be recommended, type F was used in ford automatic transmissions many years ago.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dexron/merkron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I wouldnt put that in there either. How about Dexron III/Mercon.

Just messin with ya. Fill out your profile so we can know a little more about you.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Type F CAN be used in a GM tranny. I know of only 1 person doing it and I have talked to a tranny guy about it. Type F has no friction modifiers like Dexron does. Basicly it makes the shifts more snappy and there is less slippage. IIRC. The tranny guy told me that the B&amp;M Trik Shift is basicly Type F fluid.

I am considering using Type F when I do the next fluid and filter change. But I am gonna talk to the tranny guy again before doing it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Id recommend talking to a tranny tech w/ performance experience before trying it tho.

5. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Pure insanity is right type F can be used in an older GM tranny. Type F is a thicker tranny fluid than Dexron III. DexronIII/Mercon is 5-20 weight fluid where type F is I believe 10-30. It performs very poorly at extremely low temperatures and could fail at high temp towing situations, due to its lack of additives, (anti-wear agents, anti foamers, etc.) The type F is a very basic fluid compared to the modern ATF's and will not provide the best protection for your tranny. It will provide firmer shifts, but at the trade off of increased protection given by Dex III. I would not recommend using type F in your daily driver. I use a relatively new fluid called Mercon V. It is the newest spec. used by Ford, introduced about 1998 in certain models and exceeds approval specs. for Dex III and Mercon. It is a higher performance fluid and has increased shear strength, excellent low and high temp operation, resistance to breakdown, provides longer drain intervals, and can stand up to extreme operating conditions. If you do decide to use Mercon V (five) fluid have the trans flushed by a lube shop that carries the Mercon V fluid, as it will be very hard to find in stores. By the way this stuff is about 3-4 dollars per quart but cheaper than a blown tranny. If you don't want to spend that much the newest Dex III/Mercon is a good spec. and should provide great pumpability and protection in most situations. The Chevron brand Dexron III/Mercon fluid is excellent and is the preferred fluid for many industrial and heavy duty applications. It is definitely better than most of the others on the market, especially the cheapies.

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

type f type f type f all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Suzukirider85

thanks all, i work for the local ford dealership so getting fluid for it and a flush isn't that hard. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I believe that Mercon V is synthetic, atleast the kind that Autozone carries is.

9. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I have the same truck and I'm pretty sure the tranny is original. I just emptied it and filled it with the new Dexron III stuff and it is working fine.

I'm going completely through my truck, so if you have any other specific questions particular to the 75, let me know.

Good luck.

10. Suzukirider85

How about the transfer case. used the same stuff?

11. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Nope! If it is an NP203 like mine, you want to put regular motor oil in the transfer case. I think my book said 20-40w or so. I don't think it really matters as long as you don't put gear oil or transmission fluid in there.

If you nave a different Transfer case, you will need something different. Fill out your profile and you will get more direct answers. In any case, good luck and Merry Christmas. I'm off to see Santa.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10W-30 is actually the spec for a 203, but I agree with you it doesn't really matter. Just make sure it's motor oil you're putting in there.