Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Erich_in_AZ, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I've been fighting with a leaking tranny/case for a year or so. In that time I've replaced the TC seal, front pump seal, pan gasket, dipstick tube/gasket, etc. Now it's leaking bad (about 3qts a week when sitting) from the case adapter and the case is overfilling from the tranny swapping fluid to it. I got what I assume is the correct set ( I hope) of seals for the tranny output and tcase input seals. Today I pulled the case, and it's leaking a lot from the tailshaft area where the speedo gear goes. Is that supposed to ba dry area? Should there be any fluid at all in the adapter areas between tranny and case? I assume it is, but just want to make sure I'm on the right path. My chilton barely acknowledges that there is a transfer case, so it's not much help. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The tranny is a TH350, and the case is a 208.

Thanks

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Erich, I left a message on your cell phone about that TCase. It's just a spare, Don and I will expand it's ownership. I was so mesmerised by those damned R/C cars that I forgot most of the conversation. I have a really bad attention span too. As far as I know it'll fit 350 as that's what came out of it, but it's sposta hook up to a 700r4 too. Something about a "K" case. That's what the guy said that we bought it from, but we have all kinds of input shafts between us all so no big deal.

3. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

OK, I replaced the seal on the Tcase input shaft easy enough, but before I put it back together, I'd really like to know if there is a seal somewhere here, or do you have to do it from inside the tranny. I see a vent to the pan (red arrow), so it seems to me if you park at a sharp nose-up angle, this whole area IS going to flood with fluid. Is this right?

[​IMG]

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Mine is leaking pretty badly from the passanger side. It's the round servo (I think) cover. You can just see the edge of yours in the pic...right behind(towards the front) the vacuum modulator. You might want to poke a new o-ring in there while your at it.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only vent on a TH350 tranny is on the top side of the housing near the floor board. If you see any kind of hole where you have that red arrow then you have trouble.