Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Rebuild Book, for that matter TH400, 700R4, 4L80E, anything....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who has good books on rebuilding these transmissions? Specs, tips, instructions, blah blah blah. Rebuilding auto transmissions is what we are doing in class right now, working with a 4T60E, I'm actually really enjoying it. I'm going to rebuild my own TH350 for the S10 and want to have the information(and maybe try to get some specialty tools) to do others for friends and our projects.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ATSG seems to be about the standard. Did my first tranny with one next to me. (and used for reference for the rest)

GM service manual looks to me to be where ATSG gets the photos in their manuals. Problem I see is that there are so many changes during the lifespan of a transmission, that a GM service manual for a 1982 700R4 may get most things right, but there are huge differences if you try to use that manual to do a 1988 700R4. (as an example) The ATSG's seem to be good about mentioning if there are differences you need to look for based on year or application, so they are worthwhile in that regard.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ATSG is what I've been using for the 4T60E we are doing in class. So far I've found it quite good, and yes I've noticed it notes differences over years. Just wondering if there are any others. I trust your opinion in this field, time to shop for some of them.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the atsg are good manuals i have a few differnet types and used ideas from a few when i rebuilt my thm350 in my k-5. If you like a lot of pictures try the Haynes manual it is very good in showing a lot of stuff that is not shown in the ATSG manual. THe haynes manual also includes the 400, 700r4, 200r4 and a few transaxles. By far the best is a factory service manual. They have many specs and pictures that i have not seen any where else. The tranny DVDs have some good hints for the first time rebuilder also.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

HP Books #511

Turbo Hydra-matic 350 Handbook by Ron Sessions

How to troubleshoot, remove, rebuild and install. Details parts interchange, plus high performance & heavy duty modifications.

Covers:

73-77 250
    79-84 250C
    69-81 350
    79-84 350C
    74-76 375B

Technical video also makes a good 350 rebuild video.