Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Rebuild Kit, which is best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright, going to rebuild my TH350 myself. Will have a nice healthy 383 in front of it, so I'd rather run something better than stock. So who makes the best rebuild kit for a TH350?

I'm looking at the Hughes Performance kit on summit right now, seems to be the best. Kolene coated steel plates, all the seals and race clutches, no shift kit included but I'd rather rebuild it with beefed parts, THEN worry about shift kit. Heck I've got a teacher that has been a GM tech for 30+ years, claims he can make a TH350 snap your neck without buying a single part. Of course, manual gear control will be my only real concern. Hughes kit includes bands as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294854624+4294904013+4294854623&autoview=sku

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I think no matter what name is on it as long as it has the kolene steels & good clutches. They are probably all made by the same company anyway. As far as the shift kit goes. If you just want it to shift hard all you have to do it either find some hard springs for the acculmulator pistons or just take the accumulator springs out completely. It will shift very firm after that and will be trying to bark the tires all the time. :D

Turning up your line pressure will help too. They should include most of the springs & peices that will do that in normal shift kits

Edit: when you build the tranny. Make sure to inspect everything good. I cant stress cleanliness enough either. Most tranny shops have a "clean room" that is cut off from the shop too keep down on dust. Also make sure to flush your tranny lines of the old ATF.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no tranny lines to flush yet. And we are building a new house and garage, to which I'm going to very nicely request dad add a clean room for engine and tranny work.