Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 rebuild kit??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jan 13, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit for a TH350. One that covers everything, bands, clutches and ALL seals/gaskets? Is it a good idea to renew the pump as well or do they not wear much?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

Summit sells several different kits that include everything. I'm not sure about replacing the pump.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I purchased my TH350 rebuild kit from Napa. The rebuild kit comes with everything to rebuild the tranny and pump but does not include the band (there is only one). I purchased that separately from Napa as well.

I also installed a TCI TranScat Super II shift kit purchased from Jegs.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought about putting a shift improver kit in of some sort but was worried about the 'breaking traction' side of it with a firm shift. What did you think of TransScat one??

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I have used the following parts from Summit to rebuild/modify several 350 transmissions with great results

B&M trans rebuild kit part # BM30229.
    includes instructions for complete rebuild and modifcations,
    modify the clutch pack pistons and add the extra clutches per the instructions it is well worth the time/effort.

TCI intermediate sprag part # TCI328900
    hardened sprag

torque convertor B&M part #BMM20400

all parts should cost about 360.00 plus shipping.
    this is a proven combination that works well.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought about putting a shift improver kit in of some sort but was worried about the 'breaking traction' side of it with a firm shift. What did you think of TransScat one??

[/ QUOTE ]

My TH350 shifts firmly but it doens't bark the tires unless I am on the skinny pedal. Normal cruising is rather tame. If you are concerned about loss of traction in slippery conditions, just drive with some sanity and you shouldn't have any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i can get you everything you need to rebuild any tranny.

rebuild kit w/ everthing you need: $116.69
    Sprag: $26.67
    torque converter: $130

for a total of $273.36 plus shipping

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What did you think of TransScat one??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....never heard of the One. TCI's website doesn't call it the Super II anymore, just the Trans-Scat.

Here is what their site says:

"Trans-Scat® Valve Body Kits

The Trans-Scat Kit offers two options for applications. Designed to deliver a good solid shift suitable for towing applications or a competition quality gear shift. The Trans-Scat eliminates transmission slippage and lag. Provides a harder, more positive shift and allows you to downshift the vehicle on demand. With most models, you are able to manually shift and hold the transmission in first gear until you shift to a higher gear...very advantageous when extra power is needed to top a hill. As long as the vehicle remains in drive, it will still be fully automatic. Our kit vastly improves the 2nd and 3rd gear shift, improves performance, improves fuel economy and helps extend clutch and band life."

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would use T.C.I. parts only, maybe my personal preferance. I would stay away from "stock type" kits. Some of the componants tend to be "less quality" than you would get in a T.C.I. kit. Many of the performance kits will come with valve body upgrades, I have always felt the T.C.I versions are the best. They give you a pump spring to increase pressure not just redirecting flow like B@M does. Although you won't need a neck snapping type shift, the performance kits will give you options on that. Either way you do decide to go, MAKE SURE YOU GET A HEAVY DUTY SPRAG. I won't have a 350 rebuilt without one!! broken too many! pull tranny back out?? for a 20.00 upgrade!!!

10. southernspeed

Thanks to every one for their input-much appreciated. Unfortunately I'll have to buy a converter locally because of the cost of shipping anything heavier than a pizza to England!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But I'll take your advice on the rest /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    One last thing on the subject...is it best to stick to a near stock stall speed converter or get a higher one, if so..how high? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you really want to get the converter to match the motor. if you have a built motor then i would go with a 2000 stall at the most 2500 stall. stock is like 1600. if you have a stock motor, then may 1800 stall.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I got my kit from Summit. The kit I got (along with most others) didn't come with any of the thrust washers. Make sure those come in the kit you buy. I used a large 13" torque converter. Most flexplates have both the large and small bolt patterns on them. I bought it because it has a bit lower of a stall speed than the 12" I had on there and the low stall speed works for rock crawling. If you just drive it around town a bit higher than stock would be best.

13. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I may be able to help you with yuor shipping prob. I travel back & forth between the UK & Houston, TX every couple of months and would be happy to bring reasonable sized parts with me for free.

I usually travel to Birmingham, but also fly into Gatwick.

I went to gradeschool and high school in England and still have quilt a few contacts that live/trqavel there.

Let me know if I can give you a hand.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. southernspeed

That's a very generous offer! Let me know when you're coming over next and I'll see what we can do. I'd be happy to pay you for your trouble as you'd save me a lot of shipping.Youcan e-mail me on mark@southernspeedservices.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Are rebuild kits really worth the time and effort? I hear they only last a fer k miles.
    Do you need a lot of special tools to work on a auto tranny?

16. southernspeed

They should last just fine. If you're replacing all the parts that wear then you've got a more or less new tranny.
    They're not too tricky to do. Just be methodical and clean!There are special tools but you can get around that if you're a bit handy at improvising. I'm a motorcycle mechanic and have to make 'special' tools all the time - well have you seen the price of factory tools!!!