Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 rebuild links?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Triaged, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am going to have to rebuild my th350 (long story...I botched it up...not the tranny's fault). I would like some links to sights on how to rebuild them. I already ordered a B&M kit from summit and a rebuild manual. I hope they get hear on the 26th so I can get this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif running for newyears.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Dan, Sorry, no links that I know of, but if you ordered the book I think you did (HP book by Ron Sessions), it will be fine. That's what I used, and my tranny has taken alot of abuse before I did the Doubler. I did alot of the mods that they list in the book, and it's held up fine so far. Let me know if you need any more info...

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i 2nd the Ron Sessions book. go to Amizon.com and you can get a used one dirt cheep. mine was used and looked brand new when i got it. good book- lots of info, pics and diagrams. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That is the book I ordered...I'm sitting waiting for the UPS man to drop it all off.

What type of mods did you do to the tranny?
    Did any of them involve special parts or just drilling some holes and such?

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Mods- Shift kit (TCI with transfer plate), 3/4" wide direct clutch bushing, hardened outer intermediate race, additional sun gear bushings, intermediate clutch stack addition, and of course cooler and temp gage.

Parts yes, holes no. There is one mod I didn't do, requiring machining, I had no easy (read cheap) access to a machine shop: when you read the book, you'll understand.

The one thing that I spent the the most time on was cleaning, very important I think......

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't know of any good sites. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I just used the ATSG manual specific to that tranny and it was everything i needed.
    I've overhauled my TH350 and my TH400 a few times. If ya have any questions or need help at all ya know you can post questions and we'll try to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It's actually pretty darn easy. If you can, i'd strip the tranny down to the bare case and then put it in a parts washing machine to get it really clean. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    If you have a big table to tear the tranny apart on, lay a bunch of newspaper down. Keep everything in order the way it comes apart, and it'll go back together just as easy.
    Try to keep everything as clean as possible, treat it like surgery. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    The main tools you'll need are some picks and screwdrivers to get at the snap rings, a set of snap ring pliers, a dial indicator, some feeler gauges, an in. lbs torque wrench for the valve body... etc.
    A clutch hub compressor tool makes things easier not absolutly necessary though.
    I'd get some tranny assembly lube (more like green grease) to hold the check balls in place, as well as the thrust washers.
    I made a trip to the local tranny shop, and got the 4 thrust washers for my TH350. They aren't included in the B&M rebuild kit.

I got the master racing overhaul kit with the hi performance clutches and steels, and i put in a stage 2 shift kit. That was easy, you drill a few holes in the seperator plate with a drill bit included in the kit.

GOOD LUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I realized tonight that the B&M rebuild kit does not have any of the thrust washer in it. Also I forgot to measure the endplay before I took it apart...so

What thickness thrust washer did you get?
    Where did you get the thrust washers?
    Dealer?...Tranny shop?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well I just finished getting the tranny back in (took me long enough /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ). The tranny wansn't that hard to rebuild it was just time consuming because of the ammount of parts.

I got the thrust washers at Leon's Transmission by my house. I think there are a few of them in SoCal (I have seen at least 2). They were very helpful. I also got some hard parts from them because mine were toast. They sold me some used stuff for a reasonable price.

I installed the tranny and 205 together using a cherry picker through the hole in the floor. It was alot easier to do it that way than having a jack in the way. It ballanced almost perfectly.

9. Ryan B.

Nice... So have ya driven it yet? Does it work. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Did ya put a shift kit in it while you were in there? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I took it for a drive around the block (I don't have insurance on it yet). It will shift through all the gears and the way the kickdown is set it will only kick down if you put it all the way to the floor (I kinda like it that way and might not mess with it). I put in a B&M shift kit with the HD/RV setting. I don't want it to be too harsh just firm.

It does shift a bit late for my tastes (or maybe it is just the 400sbc with cast iron intake that won't breath past 4500rpm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). I have an adjustable vacume modulator on it and will mess with that over the weekend after I get insurance. I bought a temp gage for my s-10 and might just put it in the k5 and get another gage to put in the s-10 later. I think I am done with most of the towing I will have to do with the s-10 for a while.

11. Ryan B.

Nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Sounds like you succeeded at your first tranny rebuild... Don't that feel good. A lot better than that first lap around the block saying "uhhh, something ain't right. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Another thing you can do is when your in the junkyard pocket the governers out of the th350s, The little centrifigual weight thingy with a gear on the end, comes out of a side inspection cover... and play around with swapping different ones in there.
    Or i think they have governor recalibration kits that you can play around with the weights to calibrate how soon or late you want it to shift. I think those adjustable modulators will only adjust the shift around 5 mph range of adjustment at most from where its shifting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen much info about lowering the shift point. All the book I have talks about is grinding away some of the weights to make it shift later. Would I have to weld more material onto the weights to make it shift earier? Is the gov cover under fluid? Do I have to drain the tranny to mess with it? I think for now I'll just mess with the modulator. I will pick up some more gov's when I go to the J/Y when I get back from Blazer-Fest. That's a good idea. That way I can keep the stock one and if I screw it up I can just put the stock one back in.