Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FergsK5, Feb 11, 2003.

1. FergsK5

FergsK5 Registered Member

Alright, so my year long project (due to money issues) is almost done. Almost got the 350 and TH350 swapped in. How bout the detent cable? I wanna do this right, and im not sure how to remove and install it without damage. I was running a 700r4 beinhd a 305. Are the cables run differently? Any other advice on installing these in the K5? Also, when I had the 305 and 700r4 i got a woppin 8 mpg. Guess it was the worn out 305. This 350 only has 700 miles on it. What kinda mpg can I expect. Never been real concerned with mpg, since a bada$$ truck is worth more thna gas money, but I'm goin to The Citadel next year (Charleston, SC) and the parents are movin to Syracuse, NY. THat's 900 miles one way, sounds like an expensive visit. Thanks -Ferg

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the cables dont reallt route differently but are not same cables, what axle ratio you running ?? 4.56 or something ?? 8mpg is way under what i think you should be getting, is that 700r4 getting into 4th gear ?? really short tires ?

good luck

3. FergsK5

FergsK5 Registered Member

I think the bad mpg was due to the worn out 305, bad compression or something. I think the 700r4 went into 4th, but im not sure, it's been a long time. It's dead now, thats all I know. Was running 33x12.50 tires, 3.73 ratio. Hopefully I can get it better than 8 now. Any suggestions on small things to improve it? Thanks- Ferg

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With a 700R4, the TV cable is a critical adjustment, if you have the TV cable not adjusted properly it'll burn up a tranny pretty quick.
    The dentent cable in a TH350 is just a kickdown cable that is hooked up to a valve in the valve body.
    Basically all you have to do is after you have the throttle and pedal linkage all hooked up then hook up the kickdown cable. Pull the end of the cable as far as it will travel about 1" and when its fully pulled you want to adjust the bracket so that is at Wide Open Throttle.
    That should get you in the ball park. Then you can fine tune it by the seat of your pants feel if it's not kicking down when it should.
    IF i hammer it at about 35mph it'll jump down from 3rd to 1st gear.

Your swaping out a 700r4 overdrive tranny for a th350 that has a 1:1 3rd gear so your going to be getting worse gas milage and spinning higher rpm's on the freeway.
    You'll probally be missing that 4th gear your used to. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

When i was running about the same as what your going to... I got about 8 mpg around town with my foot in it and about 13 on the freeway...
    If yer getting 15-18 mpg With a Carburator on the freeway consider yourself lucky.