Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 slips in park, but pawl/spring/rod looks good.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 16, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

TH350 I'm putting in for my doubler is supposed to be top notch except for it slips in park. That didn't concern me too much, once I verified that the linkage could be accessed from the pan (I'm no tranny expert and never fooled much with TH350s anyway).

So, I went in last night and, to my surprise, no broken spring, no bent rod, not even a damaged pawl (as far as I could see). Everything looks fine. I can see the wear where it has slipped, but it doesn’t' look like much, could almost be normal wear maybe.(?) I'm beginning to think maybe the linkage was just a nudge out of adjustment.

I have no idea what else to look for, or how to test, and my manuals don't cover anything like this. So, any suggestions? I would hate to put it in and find I have the reported problem.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Most of the time it is the linkage is out of adjustment, so it just barely grabs the park pawl. Put is in park by hand and see if you can rotate the output shaft.

Dan

3. BadDog

That's what I did, and it easily holds against my hand. Looking down at the drum, the pawl seats fully and the ramps on the pawl are below the lip on the drum notch. I just don't see how it could *not* hold.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

As long as the "notche's" on the park drum are square, and the dog is square on the pawl, it should work o.k.

Most likely a linkage, adjustment is in order. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BadDog

Well, I've never had it in my truck, so I don't know exactly how it behaves. The park slippage was reported as part of the sale information. The pawl itself seems fine. There is no "dog", as such, to be square. Unless your referring to the spring loaded cone/cam that pushes the pawl out into the drum. Maybe that's what it's called, and it pretty much performs the same job (keeping the pawl engaged), but it's not what I would call a "dog". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And I'm not sure what it would mean for it to be "square".

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You understand what I meant by the square end of the pawl, that fit's in the drum. Linkage adj. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif will do the trick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I've never had it in my truck, so I don't know exactly how it behaves. The park slippage was reported as part of the sale information. The pawl itself seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just grab ahold of the tailshaft and spin it... it should spin in reverse, neutral, and all the foreward gears... then throw it in park while your spinning the tailshaft and it should engage that parking pawl and stop the shaft from turning.
    Can you still spin the tailshaft by hand when you put it in park? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    You understand what I meant by the square end of the pawl, that fit's in the drum. Linkage adj. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif will do the trick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ahh. Well, maybe I'm being dense, but there is no square end, thought the pawl is square (perpendicular) to the axis of the drum. Hmmm, best way to describe it is that it looks like a hex-head bolt cut in half across 2 corners. The flat side fits down in the drum, and there are 2 "ramps on each side (30-45*) that would "guide" the pawl into the slot. When fully engaged, the "ramps" are below the shoulders of the drum slots, so it shouldn't just jump out.

9. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    Just grab ahold of the tailshaft and spin it... it should spin in reverse, neutral, and all the foreward gears... then throw it in park while your spinning the tailshaft and it should engage that parking pawl and stop the shaft from turning.
    Can you still spin the tailshaft by hand when you put it in park? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Already did all that. It does turn when "not in park". Put it in "park" and turn the shaft till the pawl aligns, no more turn. However, I can't begin to put as much torque into it as it would see with my 42s on an incline.

FWIW, I have no intention of relying on the parking pawl on an incline. Unlike most people I see on the trails, I do have functional e-brakes, and I lock the tire against something when possible/needed. But, I would like to make sure the park works before installing the transmission.

So, looks like everyone has the same thoughts on this as I did. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something just because I'm a very shady "shade tree" mechanic when it comes to trannys... Looks like I'm putting it in as is and "we shall see what we shall see!"

Thanks all!

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it works on your bench test like you described, then i think it should work just fine when you put it in the truck...
    I've had it where all of a sudden it wouldn't engage in park anymore, and it was just a minor linkage adjustment because it wasn't quite overcoming the spring tension to engage the parking pawl. Just needed to go a little bit further to fully engage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Good Luck!

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Now You have it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I had a tranny with a broken parking gear. One tooth was missing. Every once in a while, it would roll a bit further till it caught on another tooth. Now, for the million dollar question... Ask me how the tooth got broken? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So...uh...Neil, how'd ya break that tooth?? [​IMG]

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I thought you would never ask... This one is nearly a Darwin. When I was new to wheeling, I didnt have much common sense I guess. I hooked the winch to a tree to "test" it out for the first time and to break in the cable. Forgot to put the auto tranny into neutral and hold the brakes. Well, I pulled it pretty good and finally I heard Bang! With that, I broke the parking pawl. I went to replace the broken part and found the broken tooth in the pan. Fixed the pawl, but had the above issue...

How stupid was that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my th 400 does that also. i haven't tried to fix it yet though. i just try and park on flat ground. the first time inoticed it,i was in a gas station, iwent in to pay and came out and the truck was gone. alll the way across the parking lot. after reading the posts i'll look at it this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif