Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350- SM465 Swap (Hydro Clutch)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Nov 10, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/trannyswap/
    Let me know what you think. Maybe it'll make it to the tech section with some revision. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

just browsed it but looks good! Nice custom fab stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Looks good ..Thanks I am about to undertake the same thing soon... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can you take some pics of the drilling for the master, and running the rod from the pedal to master?

5. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I see you found a hydro pedal, why didn't you swap in the whole pedal set? I'll have to take pictures of the difference between pedal sets. I have all 3, auto, manual linkage clutch, and hydraulic clutch.

I also don't have that "factory brace" you have. I have 2 "factory braces" that the master cylinder mounts on that goes from the pedal. So there is no force applied to the firewall. Hard to explain, but a picture would help. I'll try to get those this week.

At first I used a linkage clutch pedal set with a master and slave setup. I just mounted the master on the firewall where I thought the right dimples were and hooked the push rod up to where the manual linkage goes. Boy was that a mistake. For those of you that don't know, hydraulic clutches give you no mechanical advantage. The bore and stroke of the master equals that of the slave. All the mechanical advantage comes from the pedal.

So mounting the push rod of the master so far down on the pedal gave absolutely no help. It probably took 100 pounds off 75-100 pounds of force to push the pedal. It would actually pin my back to the seat and pick my butt off the seat. Lets just say my left leg was noticably bigger for those 2-3 months.

Now why did I go through all this?? To make sure you put the push rod of the master towards the top of the pedal to gain the advantage of the pedal's fulcrum.

I eventually found a hydraulic setup and swapped in that pedal set. It took a day or so to get used to. I would almost put my foot through floor pushing it because I was so used to that extremely hard clutch pedal.

The funny thing about this is I did this swap before a spring break trip in college. I skipped alot of class that week. We were leaving for Las Cruces, NM from College Station, TX on Saturday. I test drove it thrus night for the first time in over a month. (I was also rebuilding the entire front axle and suspension). Wow was it a shock when I let off that hard ass clutch pedal a 3 in the morning on thursday night. The next friday I finished up loose ends and was packed by 2 in the morning and had to leave at 6!!! I think i only got about 15 hours of sleep that whole week. Then drove to Las Cruces which took 20 hours because my fuel pump died on the way.

All that and I had to learn to drive standard, off-road in Las Cruces with that hard ass clutch.

Damn that was a long story...

6. BowtieRed

actually- the hole that the master itself goes in, was already there. the other two holes i drilledby lining the master up, hitting a nail in the hole to make a mark on the other side, then i drilled from the inside. the rod from the master to the pedal was pretty simple too, as it just lined up when i used the new bolt for the pedal- just had to use some washers to space it out the get it to line up horizontally.

7. BowtieRed

i bought the whole setup from a member in Colorado- apparently he needed the rest of the pedals. i am planning on getting two pieces of angle iron and putting them on my side of the firewall bewteen the firewall and the nuts holding the master cylinder in place- to help spread the load.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why was the hole for the master already there?

9. BowtieRed

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif don't know