Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 strengh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82Scottsdale, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 82Scottsdale

82Scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Ok i have a th350/205 behind a mild 350 im wonding how strong it is, i fried the pump in it before offroading and had to get it rebuild about 3,000miles ago but it had a hd b&m shift kit in it and i had another one put it upon rebuild so how strong is it and how long with it last me offroading?

Tts in a 82 chevy scottsdale scsb with a dana 44 front and a 12 bolt rear both with 4:56 gears and a detroit locker in the rear on 39 by 18 micky thompsons.

2. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

I think with a 350 of any decent power youll be ok. they hold up great on BB's when your not running a ton of power.

3. 82Scottsdale

ok cause im scared to fry it again cause i dont have the cash to get it rebuilt again haha but yea i offroad a lot and was snow wheeling last night doing donuts and hitting big snow banks and stuff, so yea i was just worried about frying it like last time, well last time the gears in the pump grinded down and sent metal shavings though the whole tranny and it tore the front input seal and leaked tranny fluid all over so yea bad time for me well thanks for the help

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I think you should be ok as long as you have a good trans cooler. By the way, where are you located in IL?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

considering that th400s cost almost the exact same amount of $ to rebuild... I didn't see much reason to run a th350 when I decided to go to a 3 speed. TH400 has more beef and costs about the same... why take the weaker option?

j

6. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

With your set-up, I think I'd worry more about blowing the rearend instead of frying the transmission.

7. 82Scottsdale

haha yea im worried about my axle more then my tranny and i brake torqe it too, yea i have a HD B&M tranny cooler mounted up front but if i break my axle more of a reason to go a 14 bolt the local you pull it has some in there i could pull and muddermilitia i am located in Batavia,IL next to Aroura and Geneva and the Tri city area hbu? Jekbrown i couldnt go with a TH400 because there wasnt any around here and i would need a adapter and stuff to make it work with my 205 and my th350 rebuilt with the shift kit and new TC was around 300 give or take i dont remember but my dad paid for it cause im in HS with no job and have my own business on the side in car audio building boxes and what not

8. darryl

darryl Registered Member

if a th350 is built properyl it will take the power of a built smallblock
    as the guys said use a cooler and keep the atf clean and consider a deep pan for oil volume
    the nonlock versions have slightly stronger inputs and if you have a lockup put a kill switch in the power feed so it will not lockup in 4lo
    lockup my stop heating but it also cuts lube flow

9. 82Scottsdale

yea its also got a B&M deeper pan with fins on it and the filter is lowered too with the cooler i should be good and its a non lock up,well thanks for the help now i dont ahve to worry about the tranny now only the axles lol

10. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

FYI Advanced Adapters does make an adapter for a 205 that was on a th350 for a th400. You need a 2wd th400. Like 650 bucks. But once i get it in ill be the only one i know of around here with that setup