Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th350 tail housing thread repair question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Dec 31, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

After the last wheeling trip the truggy was leaking fluid at the adapter between the trans and the range box. You could see that it was no longer tight there. I finally got it off and it looks like I have stripped all 4 holes. Should have made time to build that skid. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I rather like this trans and the Th400 is not yet ready to go in. Anyone ever fix those threads (heli-coil, thread-cert, etc.)? Looks like there may not be enough material for it to hold up after drilling out for the thread inserts... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea i have fixed a 700r4 witch is almost identicle. it held up fine.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

best way is to aluminum weld fill the holes and drill and thread new holes, welding shops can do that for you, but its 20 or 40 a piece to have it done, i had this done for trans mnount holes in a th350 case for the trans am when bolt hole broke off on me removing the bolts they were seized horribly

good lukc

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is plenty of room to heli-coil the threads. I have repaired them in the past this way.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking the thread-serts were way better than heli-coils because of their design, but last time I needed one (3/8-16) and bought it, I realized the tapped hole needed to be 9/16", which is a huge difference, and in my case, would probably have made the surrounding metal too thin.

I think the smaller ones aren't so different in original and tapped size, which is what made me a big fan of them in the first place.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks guys, looks like heli-coil it is.

I just checked and 3/8-16 requires only a 25/64 drill to tap. I thought I remembered it being considerably bigger, expecting about 7/16 to repair a 3/8. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Of course, last time I used one of these was back around 1990 or so. Must be that "old timers" disease setting in again. Please pass the Geritol...