Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 tailshaft/ slip yoke leaking and dont know why.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 20, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever had a TH350 tranny continuousely leak fluid from around the rear slip yoke. It isnt from the rear seal (I've replaced it already), it seems to be from the driveline itself around the u-joint.

Could the splines be worn enough to allow the tranny fluid to drain out between the splines through to around the u-joint area?

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I think on these if you were to pull it right out, the tranny fluid gushes right out. So I would have to agree that the splines must be worn causing it to leak.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Pull the yoke. Clean yoke and output shaft with brake cleaner. Apply silicone. Re-assemble. I fixed one years ago with this method.

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ya, I had one with a hole there, i just screwed a zerk into the hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.giftranny fluid will eat through silicone fast though, use yellow 3M weather stripping. AKA "Gorilla Snot" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif or liquid steel paste or jb, damnnear anything will fix it, but silicaone wont last.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Possibly leaking through a "pin hole" in the slip joint, or the bushing/slipjoint, could be worn, alowing the slipjoint to "wobble' slightly, causing a leak at the seal.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Is the slip yoke grooved? I would put a new seal in and not seat it all the way to get it to ride on the shaft in a diffrent spot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just make sure of where its leaking from, theres a few possibilities under there including: speedo gear cable assembly O-ring, O-ring for output shaft housing-to-main case, and the output yoke itself, there being a hole int he yoke where its leaking from cuz is filling up yoke with fluid is very possible, could be a gap in a weld on the yoke or something, if no other possibilities are causing thre leak then id go for another output sjaft yoke, 700r4, 200c, th350 and thm2004r are al same output shaft yoke 27 spline