Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 to 700R4 in 78 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5newbe, May 21, 2006.

1. k5newbe

k5newbe Registered Member

OK, I have looked through the search results and don't see anything comprehensive on this subject. Lots of problems with tranny pan clearance. I an considering changing this trans in my K5 since I am using a lot of parts from a 90 suburban donor vehicle. The steering column from the suburban is for a 700R4. What is involved in this conversion for a 4x4? I have done it with great results in 2wd vehicles. I will even do a write up if I can get the basics and do attempt the conversion.

Thanks,

Doug

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what transfer case are you planning on running? That is the largest issue, There are a few other small things like lockup converter wiring, and tcase shifter hole modification and moving the crossmember, becasue the 700 is a little longer than the 350 trannys, but over all it is a great swap to do becasue of the deep forst gear and overdrive that the 700 offers

3. k5newbe

k5newbe Registered Member

I was planning to use the same Tcase. I think it is a NP208. I had heard that the splines might be different and that I would have to have a 4x4 700R4 due to a shorter output shaft. Does this sound right? Can the NP 208 attach to a 700R4? Can I use a 2wd pickup 700R4?

Thanks,

Doug