Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 to a 700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Feb 27, 2001.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of switching to a 700r4 in my '79 blazer. I'm getting tired having the darn thing tach up so high when i'm riding on the highway. I'm spending way to much on gas. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had had tips for me. Does it matter what year should I get the 700r4 from, does it matter. And will it match up with transfer case np203.Thanks

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Its done alot on 2wd trucks and is a fairly easy swap. I'm not sure about the 203 butt you can put a 241 and a 205 behind them. For the 205 you need to change the output shaft. Just remember the 700r4 does not like heat so I would run a good cooler.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd prefably try and find an 88 and up one with the t-case. Also remeber you need to buy an aftermarket wiring for the torque converter lockup or you'll fry the tranny. Painless makes these as well as a few other companies. Depending on what 350 you have, you may need to change driveshafts. This could also be grabbed from a donor truck. I'd also check the past posts because this has been discussed alot before.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks For the tip. I checked out the old posts, they answered all my questions. I think i may be holding off on that project for the time being.