Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 to a TC ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bee32, Feb 20, 2003.

1. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Here's one that threw me for a loop so I thaught I would ask all the guru's. Lord know's I am not! Can you mate up a TH350 to a transfer case by taking off the tail cone. The tranny is a short shaft. So by taking off the tail cone will it mate up and if it will which one? NP 205? Or 203? And what else has to happen in order to make it fit besides moving the cross member fwd?
    Here is my delima, A buddy has a TH350 short shaft that has been very recently rebuilt. He wants to trade me for my 700r-4. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I have been looking at doing this to get rid of the 700r-4 in order to get some more beef in there and an even swap is right up my alley if it will mate up. Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

For a simple answer NO... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    --
    For a NP230 or 205, the ouput shaft for the TH350 transmission, only sticks out of the main case about 3/4"

There is a special 4x4 output shaft (I have three in my garage), and you have to tear the trans completely down to change it...

A NP208 (alum case) takes a longer shaft, and I am not sure if it is the same length as the 2wd "short shaft" (the long tailshaft would be waaaaay too long), or if you can cut some off it..(male/female)..you will have to pull your transfer case and check...(or maby someone here knows)..compare the amount of "stick out" to the one on the 350..If the difference is only about a 1/2", maby even 1" if there is enough spline The shafts are easy to cut..only hardened on the surface..a cut off wheel will go right through it..

Are you sure you have a 203 or 205 behind the 700?? Usualy they are aluminum case NP208's.. The 203 is Full Time, huge and heavy..cast iron & alum...The 205 is huge and not quite so heavy, and mostly cast iron..

I know when you use a TH400, with a NP205 you can use a 2wd shortie ouput shaft, and cut 1/2" inch off it..becuase with a TH400/205, there is no connecting sleeve, the transfer is female, so you use a long shaft (male/female)

But this won't work with your 350/205..the 27spline NP205, uses a male input gear, and a 27spline connector shaft, about 6" long, to connect with the TH350 (male/female sleeve/male)

The TH350 is about 2.5" shorter than a 700, you will need to lengthen the rear, and shorten the front drive shaft..and modify your transfer linkage..If 208, shorten the rod..If 203/205 you will need to cut the floor to clear it in lo gear...

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I do have the 208 now. But I want to change to a 205 or a 203 with the part time kit and the doubler. Thanks. I didn't think it would but just wanted to ask.