Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 to NP205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txfireman110, Nov 2, 2003.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I need the transfer case adapter for a TH350 to NP205 for my 80 K5. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Advance Adapters has it for $275.00!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PS-I have checked the local junk yards but have come up empty handed. What years/models have this same adapter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

THANKS

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Put up a post in the parts wanted fourm.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for $275 you could just buy a used 205 complete with adapter from someone. I got both for $200. The guy at my tranny shop told me the adapters arent cheap or easy to find these days... i just shrugged it off at the time, but it appears to be the case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif at any rate, if ya went this route, you'd always have spare hard parts just in case you busted somethin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That combo was only available in 1980 and pre 73 models. Most 205's in other years were mated to the TH400 or 4L80E. They were available as a special option in other years but not very common. List price at the local dealer is $300 + and another $50 + for the drive sleeve to mate the input of the t-case with the output of the tranny. You need both the drivesleeve and adapter to mate the two (for those that may not have known), unlike the TH400 and 205 combo that does not use the "sleeve".

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

The OEM THM350-to-205 adaptors tend to crack. At least the few I have seen were all cracked. I would look to aftermarket adaptor. I bought one from the GM dealer in 1988 to put a 205 behind my 700. It cracked slightly. Cost was about $300 as I recall.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I was able to talk the dealer here down to $260. Since that was my third one in two years, I also but the stock transfer case brace on that goes to the frame. I have'nt broke it yet.

7. txfireman110

I found an adapter and sleeve, but pleas tell me more about this brace to protect my investment!

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

When mine cracked, I had it brazed before the crack got too big. (I did this brazing at the same time my 700R4 failed for the 3rd time) I was running the cracked adaptor for a while, because it was my daiy ride. The 205 presents an overhung load to the adaptor. If you never go off road I wouldn't be too worried.

The brace rod is ok, but goes off at an angle from the 205 and connects, sharing a common bolt, with the bellhousing. This bolt is threaded into the block so don't overtorque
    it because it's going into notmuchofa thread. In other words, GMs design of this rod appears to be far from ideal
    for off road.

The 205 end of the rod has 2 holes which are slotted. Not all 205 cases are threaded to receive these 2 bolts. There should be slight up-tension (just my opinion) on this rod when you install it, so any stretch or slippage in the rod
    will be compensated for.

I never did this (because I swapped out the 700R4), but the best solution, IMO, would have been to fabricate a proper rear 205 mount, and add a crossmember to the frame to support it. Older K5s with the OEM thick skid plate, use 2 crossmembers.

9. txfireman110

Thanks for the advice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif