Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Tran Cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big76, Sep 25, 2000.

1. big76

big76 Registered Member

What will be my best bet for a cooler for my TH350 trans? On three occasions (in two months) I have overheated my transmission. All it has is where the lines run into the radiator. I have seen multiple kits in Summit, Jegs, and JCWhitney, but I don't know what would be the best. Please help
    Jesse

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got mine at AutoZone for about $60. Its pretty easy to install, just disconnect one of the lines from the rad., and hook it up to the cooler, then run a line from the cooler to the radiator.

90K5

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Most auto parts stores carry them. Get one rated for at least 16000-18000 gvw to be safe. I have a 18000 gvw on mine and it workes great.I live in the desert and tow a ski boat in 100 degree heat many hundreds of miles every year.
    If you overheated your trans. Make sure you change your oil completely by dropping the pan and also draining the torque converter. Or have a tranny shop pump it all out and put in new oil.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I run a stack plate cooler made by Hayden (simular to the B&M in Jegs) and I am very happy with it. I got mine from Pepboys for about $55. They also sell a tranny temp gage made by Hayden that I'm happy with. Since the cooler was installed I have never seen over 180 in the tranny no matter how hard I wheel it. Also helped make the engine temp more stable since the tranny is not dumping as much heat into the radiator. DO hook it up the way they say by routing through the stock cooler. Trannys do need some heat in the winter and leaving that connected will keep the temp about where it needs to be. Jegs and Summit also sell a thermostatic valve that is a good idea if your somewhere where you get some really low temps. It will keep the temp regulated in the winter.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/