Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 tranny cooler line fitting size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Dec 5, 2005.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Well, I blew out a tranny cooler line this morning and need to find a fitting I can use to run the rubber lines all the way to the tranny. I need to know the correct fitting to use on the tranny for the hookup. I found this thread which has a ton of good info: oil cooler lines

When I am looking for the fitting, am I just looking for a standard 5/16" npt??? Will that have the correct thread size and all? I need to get it right the first time or I'll be putting it all back together for another trip into town.
    TIA,
    Tony

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hard line is 5/16 size. and dont run rubber line. the heat will kill it asap.

3. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just rebuilt the motor in my 79 and when i was done the tranny lines looked like poo so ripped them out and got 4 fittings at the hydro store in which went from 5/16 to 6AN and ran all aeroquip lines. Lasts longer.

Doug W.

4. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Sweet, I'm stuck running rubber right now just to get her running so I can get to work. :( I'm gonna have to start another thread later on front axle wrap I think, and reroute the lines to the outside of the frame rail. Eventually I'd like to run steel lines on the rail itself with short flexible lines at either end. I love the way Ryoken's look, and there was someone else's i saw when i was searching yesterday that did this that turned out perfect. Time to put em on the christmas list. :D

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

O, and just for a lil history on this problem, it started over the summer when the front dshaft took out one of the hard lines when the front tire got stuffed going through a big ditch. I had to make a splice with a short rubber line, and that worked fine till i got her home. I had a mechanic here in town run new rubber lines since i didnt have time to do it myself then, but the lil pudwhacker ran them on the bottom of the frame rail, and didn't put the proper fittings on the tranny, just cut the original hard line a few inches off and went from there. I think what is happening is the front axle is wrapping enough to let the front dshaft come up and hit it. This time it just pulled the rubber line off the joint near the tranny. I was hoping to be able to put it off till i finished collecting parts to do the lift and axle swap, but it looks like i'll have to move the lines to the top of my list now. :doah: