Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 tranny problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, Jul 26, 2005.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

It seems that whenever i go 4wheeling and sometimes even when im not and, i try to go in reverse to get out of somewhere if im stuck or even if im just tryin to back up, it hesitates, and doesnt wanna move backwards. i can like put my foot to the floor and it goes really slow. My tranny is also full of fluid so its not low or empty. It seems like its just slipping in reverse or something. Im gonna try putting in a new tranny filter in the pan too see if maybe its just clogged up or something. But does anyone have any ideas? or solutions to this? thanks.

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I'd like a solution as well. The th350 I am using now does this aswell. I change the filter and fluid often but it doesn't seem to help.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are your trannys new or old if they are not new I would say you have some slippage in your tranny. My tranny will do similar stuff and I think my engine does not have enough tourque to flash the converter I may be wrong but that is what it acts like and the temp shoots through the roof when I do this

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the fluid level is good, then the next thing to check would be the pressure. You should have your highest PSI reading when shifted into reverse.

The reverse boost valve could be sticking in its bore (common with lots of miles, but that would usually be just a delay into reverse.), or the Low/Reverse clutch or Direct Clutch pistons seals could be damaged and leaking.
    burnt direct clutch or low/reverse plates can also cause slipping in reverse.

5. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

ya i had a guy at work today, one of the mechanics i work with tell me something like that. he said they are most likely warn out from abuse, and that psiton or seal thing, and it slips when the tranny gets warm because it doesnt have enough pressure when its hott, but when its not hot it works fine. so he told me to change out the fluid and put a new filter in and add some lucas tranny fix fluid and should work again...hes done it to a few of his and its worked. so we'll see how it goes.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That lucas stuff is awesome when I did my tranny a buddy had a core that looked all new and me being a cheap bastard (him too) said hey we can just take those brand new looking clutches not even take em out of the drums and just use them in my trans, stupid idea. I obviously have some clearance problems as I can overheat my trans just driving around but a bottle of that lucas stuff when I change my fluid will keep me going till I get the 400 built the right way with new parts and alot of measuring