Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 tranny swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I just picked up my new (to me) TH350/203 along with other parts from wayne in Gettysburg (great guy to deal with BTW).

It's going into a 74 K5 that had the same factory setup. My basic question is whether this swap will be a simple unbolt and rebolt operation. I plan on using a floor jack with an extra piece to hold the tranny (no shop lift available).

Also, is there anything else I should do while I have the tranny out? There is oil all over the underneath of the truck. It seems to be coming from the flywheel area and then the flywheel is chunking it everywhere. I'm thinking it could be the rear seal which I would obviously want to do while the tranny is out. Any tips on that or other things I should do are appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used one of these for a swap? Do they work and are they worth it?

Tranny jack adapter

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah replace that seal while your in there. It does require dropping the pan. but with the tranny and flex plate out of the way it will make it easier.
    Might want to put a new seal and bushing in the front of the tranny too. NAPA should have the parts in stock.
    I always put the tranny and case in seperate. That jack adaptor works good for the tranny but won't work very wll on the case. I took a peice ong 3/4 ply wood and some chunks of 2x4 and made a jig. Estimated the center of ballance. Drilled a hole through the ply and bolted it on to my floor jack with a stack of washers on it. I used a 3/4 inch bolt. The washers let me tilt it to help line it up. Works pretty good. Did the same for the tranny. All the wood was scrap I had laying around so it was FREE. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Blow out all the old fluid from the cooler lines. If you do not have an air compressor, you can buy a can of cleaner that hooks to one of the cooloing lines and flushes the line. It looks like a can of fix a flat.

Since you will have the pan off if to replace the rear main seal.......might as well put new bearings in the bottom end.