Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Transmission Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79beast, Oct 2, 2002.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

Anyone know of a website that goes step by step to remove a th350 transmission from my 79 blazer? Or if anyone knows how to and it won't take to long could you let me know
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It's pretty straight forward. I did mine on Sunday. The hardest part was fitting the tranny down b/t the headers.

Assuming the transfer case is out,
    - drain the tranny (it'll be lighter that way)
    - unhook everything from the tranny (cooler lines and kickdown cable)
    - I suggest using a floor jack with some wood attached to it to hold the tranny. It worked well for me. So get that ready.
    - brace the tranny with the jack + wood adapter
    - unbolt the tranny/case adapter (attached to the crossmember) from the tranny. that'll be 4 bolts
    - unbolt the crossmember from the frame and slide the crossmember back (I couldn't get mine out, but sliding it back was good enough)
    - unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel (3 bolts, I had my oil pan off and I don't know if you can get to the bolts without dropping the pan)
    - unbolt the tranny from the engine block (6 bolts, 2 on each side and 2 on top)
    - it should be loose now, slide it back a few inches, and drop the jack nice and slow

That's about it. I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed something.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you have access to a cherry picker, place it in the passenger door at about the rear view mirror. You can run a chain through the t-case shifter hole and drop the tranny and tcase together, it will self balance. Installation is easy as well since the torque converter will be emptied and tilt the tranny at the engine.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

read this post it is step by step 700 r4 and a 350 are the same to remove read this post

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

On my 74, you can't drop them together. The adapter and the crossmember (on b/t the tranny and case) can't be dropped.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

On the 73-75 you can not drop the cross member but you can unbolt it and slide it to the back on the frame. I just did that last week and for a friend of mine.
    IceMan

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Also make sure you brace the engine with a piece of wood so it doesn't fall back into the firewall and break off the distributor. I like to use a piece of 2x4 or 4x4 and rest it on the backs of the leaf springs so the oil pan sits on it.