Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jcarr, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jcarr

jcarr Newbie

My TH350 will only shift into reverse, no forward gears. What should I check first?

2. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Fluid! lol

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When mine did this I'd blown the front drum. Total rebuild. Check your fluid first as suggested but it sounds a bit more serious.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

time for a rebuild. :crazy:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

weird!..

Thats strange,a TH350 usually loses REVERSE before any other gears when one croaks!..it could be what the others listed,but it also could be something wrong in the valve body,or passages plugged up,etc..unfortunately its not something most of us could fix ourselves,but it might be worth having it looked at by a tranny shop first,before condemming it..

They can perform tests using air pressure to the clutches ,with the pan off to tell if seals failed,or fluid pressure tests to see if the pump and all the curcuits in the valve body are working right..I'd avoid going to any "big name" tranny shops though,an independent one is usually less likely to "bend you over",and say "you need a complete rebuild"..they have better prices too,especially if you remove it yourself and carry it in,rather than have them do the whole job,should it need a complete rebuild..

I almost spent 700 bucks to have one tranny I had rebuilt that wouldn't shift out of first gear,all it had was reverse and first!..my friend showed me how to remove the govenor,a 5 minute job,and its drive gear (nylon),was all stripped!..cost me 10 bucks for another one at a tranny shop--tossed it in,and I drove the truck 40,000 trouble free miles since!...glad I didn't listen to "AMMACO"...they said it was "scrap"...:rolleyes:

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you need it up and running in a hurry this won't help much. Go down to your local book store and get a book on them and then read it. I understand autos way more than ever before after I read that book.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

There are some very good auto books out there. Most will take you through a step by step tear down and rebuild. Its really surprising how simple autos are once you get down to the nit and gritty of how it all works. It will save you a good sum of money and you get the satisfaction to do it yourself.