Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 turbo trans strength and years

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudologist, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Mudologist

Mudologist Registered Member

I got this 350 tubo trans thatis supposed to be out of a corvette. I need to switch the main shaft over to 4wd and I don't know the condition so I am going to rebuild it also.
    I need to know where can I find a date code or something on the tranny to get the correct rebuild kit? Also I rebuilt trannys before but never a th350, and I want to make it tuff so it don't break on me. What parts should I be concerned about upgrading if any. I will be running it behind a corvette tune port engine with a really low range transfercase. I am also throttle happy on the trails.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I would suggest finding a tranny out of a 4wd truck. At some point they started using a thicker housing because they were breaking. The thicker cases have a K stamped on the bellhousing and also have the thick torque converter cover with the rods going to the engine mounts. You might be able to find someone who will trade with you.

The TH350 can be a really tough tranny. I dont really know of many upgrades for the 350, except shift kit and maybe extra clutches.

Maybe someone else will jump in and give more detail.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Tom,
    Like was said get a K case. As far as upgrades go there is alot available. Once it is built run Type F fluid in it. Type F is much better then the Dextron fluid for foaming and cooling. The th350 will be plenty strong for a TPI 350. I know guys who drag race with th350's behind built big blocks. You putting all of this in your new Jeep?

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

If you want to do it right, get "Turbo Hydramatic 350 Handbook" by Ron Sessions. It is published by HP books and I think Summit has it. It is the bible for turbo 350's, tons more info than the factory manuals, everything from basic rebuilds to all out modifications. Doesnt just tell you what to do, but WHY you should do it. I have heard of a few broken cases but considering that there are millions of T350's out there, it must be pretty rare to break a case. Type F fluid is not better at cooling or foaming than dextron. It does have a higher coefficient of static friction and will result in quicker clutch engagement but it may be to harsh, the clutch material was designed for dextron. Try it, if you dont like it you can switch back, they are compatible.