Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 TV cable question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TrcksR4ME, Jul 14, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I swapped out carbs and went from a Carter AFB (POS) to a q-jet.

So far I have noticed that it doesn't kick down unless I really step on it. I don't wanna ruin the tranny if the TV cable isn't set properly, so how do I know if it is or not?

The Haynes manual has something about reseting the TV cable but I don't want to try this yet, dont wanna make it worse than it already is.

Any suggestions/tips/info? Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TH350 doesn't have a TV cable, its a detent cable. Just kicks down a gear when you need to pass. (for instance)

That said, I didn't think they were adjustable at all. It won't hurt the tranny with it not working correctly, but I'd want it fixed probably. Is the location of the Q-jet throttle shaft the same as the carter, and is the TV cable hookup in the same location with the same amount of travel?

I'd almost guess that your TV cable is stretched out and may need replacing. Never heard of that before, but maybe someone else has. Personally never owned a TH350.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The cable (it least mine) has an oval "slider" area on it. For some reason, if I don't put a set screw in there, my current Q-jet linkage never even pulls on that cable (no kickdown ever!)...

So I just kept messing around with that set screw to get rid of most of that slot, now I can get the correct kickdown.

As was already mentioned, the TH350 is not a TV cable dealio....it won't hurt anything if it's misadjusted, it will just annoy you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i ran mine into the cab so i can yank on it and downshift whenever i feel the need.

NITRO

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

To set it, all you have to do is pull on the cable all the way, and then set that point for WOT.
    Mine is hooked to a bracket that you can loosen and slide one way or the other for adjustment.
    You can fine tune it so it will kick down earlier by moving the bracket back a little further, making it pull the kickdown cable just a little sooner. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now i have it adjusted properly, when crusing about 30-35mph in 3rd i can stomp on it, and it'll drop into 1st and scream. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well sweet, I was worried about wrecking it primarily, kicking down properly is second.

The cable was replaced a few years ago, so i think its fine. The q-jet is a little different than the carter as far as the hook up and the amount of travel the throttle has in comparison. I had to make a bracket to hook up the cable which seems fine, and the bracket that mounts the detent cable is adjustable so i played with that some as well.

Again my main concern was not breaking anything so thanks for all the response, I appreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif