Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Oct 6, 2001.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I need some suggestions for upgrading my tranny. I'm going to pull out my SM465 and replace it with a TH350. The TH350 I have is fairly new from a tranny shop (AAA Transmissions). I'm sure they did just the basic rebuild. I've heard something about a sprag (sp) I think. What's that? Should I replace it? Any suggestions for shift kits? I'm tired of shifting gears, and just today I managed to weld my clutch together in waiste deep water. I wish I could afford the 700R4 conversion $$$$$$.

Later,
    Travis

P.S. Everyone welcome Jadzu. He's a new member I just introduced to CK5. What a great guy, breaking ropes, cables, bumpers; all trying to pull me out. Thanks Hillbilly.

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

You know you need a different t-case, no? Unless you have a fine splined standard Trans that I have heard about but never seen before. Also, shiftwise for your 350, You can remove all of the check balls in the valve body except for the one for the modulator. I did this to mine because it was cheap at the time, It gets rid of the lag between the shifts.
    Let us know how is works out.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I have a complete set-up, tranny and transfer case.

4. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

OK guys, What's the sprag? What does it do?

5. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

i cant remember the exact use for it in the trans. I had one go out on my on my tbird turbo.

Its a circular shape, Thinner and larger in diameter then a wheel bearing. It has bearings and it spins. Its purpose is to only rotate in one direction. If it rotates in the other direction, it will just lock up. Mine busted by spinning in both directions. I heard its common in the a4ld trans which my tbird has for them to break.

74 VW Beetle
    84 Pontiac Fiero
    87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo
    83 Honda Nighthawk 550

6. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

well since travis is swaping out his tranny and transfer case what's the chances that they would fit into my 79' k-5 without to much trouble other than cutting the hole for the shifter and adding clutch and linkages... oh by the way travis, i'm thinking about gettin that tranny and t-case off you if your selling..hehe forgot to ask you today.. also for later upgrades,, i want to swap out from 3:73:1 to 4:10:1.. what kind of problems will i run into?? oh and does anyone know where i can get the pewter emblems for a 79' . i kinda busted two of mine today taking them off for body work...

and i changed my username from jadzu... didn't realy fit here

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!

7. FWP

FWP CRS

It locks up during the second gear shift. It's a one way clutch, rolls in one direction, locks up in the other. The original outer race is weak, and can explode, sending shrapnel throughout the tranny. It's a very good upgrade to the tranny to replace the outer race with a hardened one. There's alot of other mods to make the tranny very strong, Check out a book that Summit sells on the TH350, I used it to build mine- Excellent info there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

8. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Are the kits pretty a "do-it-yourself" type project. I've got pretty good mechanical skills, just never dealt with automatics before. Thanks for the inputs.

Travis