Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 vent hole problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just had my TH350 rebuilt just over a year ago and sometimes, on the freeway coming up a steep hill under power, tranny fluid will blow out of the breather hole and all over the exhaust, filling the cab with smoke and making me look like a retard driving down the road. Only happens at highway speeds and under power(secondaries in carb open)This only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds, but its begining to worry me and get on my nerves. What causes this? Is there an easy way to correct it? Also, my tranny dipstick will not stay seated on the end of the tube. It always blows back out an inch or so. I can push it all the way down, but as soon as I drive for more than a mile or so, it gets blown back out. Are these two problems related? Any suggestions/ideas?

2. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Funny as this may sound, I had the "coming out an inch" problem with the tranny stick. I fixed it by, get this, turning the little hook from the top... to the bottom before inserting the stick. I wish all things worked this easy.

3. Zeus33rd

Hmm.....Have to try that. Thx. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    What I need info on is the other issue!!! Anyone got any suggestions??? :P

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

My th350 did the same thing a while ago. Had to pull the vent off the top of the tranny and clean it out and make sure it was working properly. I would do it soon, because I let mine go for a while and the popping out/pushing in of the dipstick every day eventualy broke the end off of my dipstick. Had to pull the pan to get it out and had to go buy one from a junk yard. Not much money, just a pain in the rear.

5. Zeus33rd

Ok...You said "pull the vent from top of tranny". Is it something you can actually pull out? I havent actually stuck my hands up there to feel it. Just saw fluid coming from there and assumed it was the vent. I figured it was just a "hole" in the top of the case. Is it something similar to a vent tube on an axle? Better yet.....Anyone got a picture?

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Doa search on this subject. It's been covered several times but if I remember right, a clogged breather tube was to blame.