Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 won't shift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

th350 won\'t shift

Have a prob with the tranny in my 76 blazer. When it's put into gear,(for or rev) it sometimes hesitates and needs a little vroom vroom for it to kick into gear. Also It doesn't like to shift out of first. Since I've been messing with it I've got it to shift once. And after it shifted I let off the gas and then it wouldn't pull at all. I did have to replace the detent cable and changed the modulator but it still didn't make a difference. Has any one had this prob, or know anything other than a rebuild that can fix it? I'm not ready to go there yet cause it is supposed to be a good tranny and I went over my budget on my engine. Any input would be appreciated.

2. AmericanFreak

AmericanFreak Registered Member

Re: th350 won\'t shift

I had the same problem in my 1986 blazer i have the 700r4 and mine wouldnt shift out of first and when i did the only way to get it back into first was to put the shifter in first gear. Also when i would pull out after it had shifted out of first it would pull out in second gear. Then like 4 days later the tranny just died so i had to get it rebuilt they said that the plantery gear was screwed up.

86 Blazer Building it up has 35s right now add a leafs and blocks and fender trimmin

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You might want to get a can of "trans-x" at the auto store and add it to the tranny ( It is soposed to lube the valves and the like in the tranny) a couple of bucks just to try can't hurt....later mike

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make sure the vacume line is free and getting good vacume at the tranny. if you have good vacume at the tranny then it could be that the valve body is sticking

wheeling pics

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Classic turbo 350 on its deathbed symptoms. The trans is not engaging in forward and reverse because of low pressure, increasing the rpm's lets the pump put out enough pressure to allow engagement. The are some recent posts about rebuilding turbo350's on the first gen board, its not to hard or expensive.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

This is exactly what my transmission (TH350) was doing. The key word is WAS doing. I would have to rev it up alot to get it to take gear, yesterday it went out completely. So it doesn't sound good for your transmission either.

Good Luck

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Same thing that happened to mine last June. It only has first gear. Sounds like rebuild time.

For me on the other hand, I had to get a TH400 and NP205 to go behind the 496.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>