Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Apr 8, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

Hello guys,

i am having leaking problems with my transmission box which i have no idea about.. i took it to 3 different mechanics and all changed gaskits, one said there was a problem with a hose.. but the leak is always there.. read this scenario of what happened the last time i got the car back...

i took the car from the mechanic at 7:30pm... drove the car around.. visited some relatives.. came back home at 10pm.. i saw a drop or two of transmission oil under the car.. but i thought it could be because it might be overfilled...

woke up in the morning at 6am with a small oil spill under the car approximatly 4"x6"... went to work... and when i came back.. there was a huge oil spot under the car.. and as i leave the car.. it gets larger and larger... i dont know where its from... any ideas??

one more thing... is there any good book anyone can recomend me to get as i want to learn how to fix/rebuild transmission boxes myself... a good website can help too..

Thanks,

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

its gonna be hard for anyone here to say without seeing it

but we can try

where are drips hanging from off the tranny ?

pan rail ?

dust cover ?

tailshaft housing ?(if its a 2wd)

its either going to be the pan gasket, or front seal, or kickdown cable housing seal, speedo cable unit seal, tranny line, or possibly governor cover, or a couple other less likely things

most of the time it is the front seal or cable seal or a line leaking

a long 1/2" wrench can be used to check how tight the line fittings are at the trans case

but if theres drips off the dust cover then its most likely the front seal

good luck

3. aknight_sa

the dripping starts from the top of the box and runs down to the 4 wheel drive transfer case...

is it hard to take the whole case out of the car?? and what do i need to do so?

4. aknight_sa

i was tracing the oil yesturday and i think the problem is from the seal which connects the gauge tube...i did have problems with the tube some time ago.. how can i take the tube out and replace the plastic seal underneath it??

btw, if that was the problem... would the transmission box loose most of the oil inside it?? i had to put in about 3 leters and half of oil to fil it up yesturday...

thanks,

5. aknight_sa

any help guys???

anyone?

please!!...

help?

:)

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet it's leaking from the front seal. I'd pull the inspection cover and take a look.

With a th 350, sometimes it takes a day for the leak to show up..
    When the trany sits, the convertor drains into the trans, creating a higher trany fluid level in the trans, then the bad seal starts leaking.

Also you may have over-filled the trans. Right dip stick??

7. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This may sound funny, But it worked for me. Drive and get trans to normal temp, Wipe area clean "careful few things are hot under there". Then sit and watch.

8. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

When you pull the dipstick tube, she is gonna gush! that is unti the oil level is below the tube orifice. There is a coulple of O rings on the dipstick tube. simply replace.

9. aknight_sa

as i was tracing the problem i found it was from the dipstick tube..the O rings were bad... i tried to open the knot to take the tube out.. but wasnt able to reach it due to the headers i installed :)

anyway, what i did now was used what we call here "cold welding" glue... wiped a little bit around it a left it for a while to dry... then i added some oil..

when i added oil.. it didnt leak... yesturday it did.. then i took it for a short drive to test it.. and still not a drop... i will wait for a few hours to see what happens...

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's quick fix. I don't like the o-ring style, I have the grommet style.