Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Nov 6, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

What could cause the center support to break? Anyone know these trannies well? As some of you know my newly rebuilt tranny went. I talked to the shop this morning and they said it was the center support. She informed me that she wasn't pointing any fingers but that this is usually caused by doing neutral drops!

My b/f was test driving the truck, after we put the lift/tires/shocks on the truck. He swears to me that he didn't pounce it, and was driving it normally. Said he was going a little fast, came to a stop, went to go and it made a snap noise.

Has anyone else had one of these break? Help me... I'm very curious!!

2. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What 'center section' are we referring to, Sara? The crossmember under the transfer case? Or the mount that mates the transfer case to the crossmember? There is NO direct mount for the trans to the truck..............trans attaches to TC, which mounts via a rubber/poly mount to the crossmember.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Ya where exactly did it break, cause the Trans does just hang between the engine and the T-case, Its not unheard of to break the Trans because of teh flex in this arraingement, but i've beaten the snot outa mine with a 203 hanging off the back and havn't broken it yet, so where did it break?

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe she is referring to the center support "inside" the transmission. If that is the case, abuse, or a poor rebuild (i.e. not replacing worn parts) can cause it to happen. Usually happens when you put your foot into it (but not necessarily abusing).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Leadfoot, this is exactly what I am talking about. It is the internal Center Support that she is talking about. I only had 600 miles on the tranny from when it was rebuilt. I am now paying 150.00 for them to pull it again. I hope they don't try to screw me on this and say that it wasn't from the rebuild.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i do not want to come off as rude...
    have you delt with this shop before? do they have a good rep?

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

8. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

They fixed it. I went to them after looking for a tranny shop. They had the longest warranty 18 month unlimited mileage warranty. All they do are transmissions, they are a cash only, no hassle business. This is why i went to them. They have been cool to me. They even let us install my rear main seal there while they had the tranny out. My problem was is that she told me that the way those usually brake is from doing neutral drops. I was trying to find out if my b/f did something on the test drive he didn't share with me. Anyway... sounds like there are other things that cause this. They fixed it. It cost me 179.00 to have the tranny pulled, installed and fluid. This was because the labor warranty was 90 days. If we would have pulled the tranny ourself it would have been no charge.

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, can you explain just what the center support is inside a TH350. I have rebuilt two TH350s and never came across something called a center support. Maybe there is another name for it?? I'm hoping that the shop is not making up terms (ie . muffler bearing). JT