Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th400 and a 208? or rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Nov 4, 2004.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok guys, i took my truck to have my tranny checked out, got told the dreaded words.. "needs a rebuild.." well i was quoted $700-$800 for a rebuild, new convertor, labor, out the door everything... is that a good price for rebuilding a 700r4?

next question, same guy is selling a
    Rebuilt TH400 transmission, either 2wd or 4wd, with torque converter.
    12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
    $495.00

that sounds pretty good, but would there be any pros/cons against putting it on my blazer with a 208t-case...?? will a th400 and a 208 fit toghether without any special plates?
    help! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The adapter and output shaft are different on a TH400--you'll need the adapter and transfer case for the TH400 tranny--your 208 has smaller splines(27 VS 32 for TH400)so the transfer case wont work unless you change its input shaft,then you will need to get vacuum to the modulator,they used a special switch/valve on the injector pump to regulate the vacuum from the vacuum pump so it will shift correctly.That switch broke on my 82 diesel,so I ran the hose from the modulator direct to the vacuum pump--it shifts very smooth and too quickly--its in 3rd before it hits 15mph,and I'm not sure if I'm harming the tranny doing this(I hope not /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) but if I leave it unplugged it wont shift out of second until its screaming at 50+mph--I'd rather see it lug than over rev it. You might just be as well off to have your 700R4 rebuilt,or you could swap in a TH350(same length and output shaft as the 700R4)but you still have the modulator to deal with--and no overdrive on a TH350 or TH400--so you'll be revving higher on the freeway,and will lose some mpg's. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Both my TH400's (86 and 88), both gas, plumb into the back of the manifold. No special valves... It uses the same fitting as the brake booster...

You will also need a kickdown pedal switch for the th400.

I would swap to the th400, for sure. You would have to deal with the issues already posted. However, you could do all of that for the same price, or less, as the 700 and have a much better transmission...

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Both my TH400's (86 and 88), both gas, plumb into the back of the manifold. No special valves

[/ QUOTE ]

he has a diesel which creates no vacuum

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats what i get for a 700r4 rebuild, just make sure you get ALL the upgrades with that.

if you have the 82 700r4 then get a newer 700r4 for them to rebuild, perferibly 87 and newer, it will work perfectly. the newer the 700r4 the better the parts it has. it should cost the same for the rebuild, the kits are within $10 of eachother /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats what i get for a 700r4 rebuild, just make sure you get ALL the upgrades with that.

if you have the 82 700r4 then get a newer 700r4 for them to rebuild, perferibly 87 and newer, it will work perfectly. the newer the 700r4 the better the parts it has. it should cost the same for the rebuild, the kits are within $10 of eachother /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ya looks like im am going to save up and rebuild the 700. i dont want to deal with all this other crap, lengths, splines, d-shafts and whatnot. plus i love overdrive, and its my only means of transporatation.. i was talking to the guy about it, he said maybe a mild shift kit, due to off-roading it should help out. but not sure..
    i think the owner that i got the truck from, put a newer tranny in, when he took the old 6.2l and put the 6.5l in. i just kicked over 176K miles. so im hoping its not the original tranny. maybe i can call him and find out?!

well anybody in or around tucson or phoenix have a 700r4 that i could buy?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Make sure you put a BIG tranny cooler on that 700R4 for it to help last in the heat of AZ. Trust me I know. Also if you can pay to have ALL the upgrades done and any other special performance parts that will add to tranny life.

Harley

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you put a BIG tranny cooler on that 700R4 for it to help last in the heat of AZ. Trust me I know. Also if you can pay to have ALL the upgrades done and any other special performance parts that will add to tranny life.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

well the guy i took it to is off of wheelingaz.com (fredtj) real nice guy, owns his own shop. so he said probably no higher than $800 out the door. so i think i will do this, then get a tranny cooler afterwards and do that myself. but we'll see! it looks like i just got a new job, so i'll get some $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif