Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 Chevy vs. TH400 BOP??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if there is any difference other then the bellhousing between the Chevy version and the BOP (Buick, Olds Pontiac)? I need to know if I will be able to hook a NP205 to it ?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks Shane -

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think its just a matter of cutting down the output shaft (spline permitting) or swapping in a 4wd output from a Chevy one.

3. Nitrodrip350

I would like to just swap the output to a chevy if possible, just haven't ever seen a BOP Th-400 so checking to make sure it can be done. I don't think that they made a 4x4 th400 BOP right ? so I want to make sure I can unbolt it and replace it with a Chevy output.

Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know, you'd THINK they never made a 4x4 TH400, but could you get the early 5.7 diesels in 4wd (and w/th400)?

Of course, the likelihood of running across a TH400/5.7 diesel combo, even if available, is pretty slim at best.

I seem to recall no 4wd/5.7 combo's, but I'm not positive, I don't have any of the dealer manuals for the pickups. (not Blazers)

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well guess what?
    All th400's are the same except for the bellhousing difference and the length of the output shaft.
    I have a Jeep Wagoneer with a th400.
    The Bellhousing is AMC round and the output shaft is 27spline loooong shaft to go through the Quadra track gear reduction box.
    Well I just got the output shaft from a 2wd fixed yoke th400 from a chevy truck, compared it at Ryan's with a 4x4 chevy 400 and it's the same except for the threads in the hole at the end of the shaft.
    I will be mating a 208 to this th400 in my Jeep.
    All you will need is the right length shaft, when I get home I will measure it for you and tell you which one to look for.
    But I am sure someone will chime in before I get to it and give you the measurments.
    Any 2wd chevy/GMC truck will have the right one.
    The Cadilac was longer and I can't remember which had the short shaft, you will need the medium.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Shane, I am using a BOP TH400 in front of a NP203/205 Doubler and the only thing required is to replace the output shaft with a 4x4 shaft. If I remmeber correctly the stickout length of the shaft from the case is 1.375".

7. Nitrodrip350

Thanks Everyone!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will be swapping out to a Cadillac 500 and just want to keep the TH400 that comes with it just to keep it easier. I can find np205's all day it seems so it will just be better to change it now while I'm doing everything. Then I have the NP203 for my Doubler. That is probably the only part that is going to be easy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif This helps out a lot. Well now it's off to my favorite place - Pull and Save to try and find my Caddy 500!

Thanks Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

By the way, if you go with a caddy th400 you will get a stronger case.
    The caddy used a different alloy for stronger better case.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Nitrodrip350

Very nice! That is what I like to hear! The more I hear about the 500/Th400 the more I like it. Thanks for the added info! Now I just have to get rid of my ZZ350 block - /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif