Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th400 convertor bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok guys i am trying to piece together a truck i got and am kinda going at this blind, does anyone know what size torque convertor bolts a th400 takes? thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of the older trucks used 3/8 bolts and nuts to join the flexplate and converter together,around 3/4 to 1" long..use grade 8 bolts and some locktite!..

Newer ones are sometimes metric,and thread into the converter..I think they are special bolts..they sell new ones on the "HELP" rack at parts stores,but its up to you to know the thread size/pitch..I doubt the catologs will list the right ones fist try..

3. bigbadchev84

i think they thread into the convertor, i believe its the allison convertor? does this sound right? the tranny shop told me it was heavy duty if that makes a difference.......anyone?

4. bigbadchev84

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As stated, some use bolts and nuts, some thread in, and the older thread-ins were coarse thread I believe, though the newer metrics are fine (but only in 700 and 4L series I think?). Figure out which you need and visit a tranny shop, tell them which it is, done. You need G8, and the bolts are so short that many bolt shops don't stock them, particularly the fine threaded ones.