Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th400 disassembly/ reassembly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, May 2, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, its time. I havent been able to find another TH400 to put in the truck. My case is broken but the workings are great. I picked up a case from a 2wd truck and am planning on swapping the guts into it. Any points or advice? Ive never attempted tearing into an auto tranny, but they say its not too tough. I appreciate any and all advice or experiences that you may have! I will have a book handy and a friend is loaning me a special tool to pull the pump, but other than that is there any others I will need?

Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

take your time and pay attention to detail ...........though i have never done a 400 i have helped with a couple of 350's and that is the important thing .........dont force anything and double check every thing

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

When I take anything like a trans. apart I lay down a sheet (keeps everything clean) and as i take it out in units I lay it down in order . The first part should be the closest and the last part furthest away . Them assemble it with the furthest part first and work back to it . I also recommend taking the case and having a machine shop clean the case .

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

They do have manuals available you can follow, and in a pinch you can always find somebody to call...AAmco....or a local tranny guy.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]