Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th400 fluid capacity???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

May 17, 2004
    does anyone know how much fluid an empty th 400 4wd takes? in quarts please it has the stock pan and convertor on it
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    About 10-12 qts,if the converter is empty,and the pan's been off!..buy a whole case of 12 qts,put 4 or 5 in,start it up,let it idle about 10 seconds,then add 2-3 more..then its safe to let it run,and add more until its up to the correct level..dont forget it expands when it gets hot,I'd leave it about halfway between add and full,then drive it and see if its at the "full" mark...overfilling makes it foam up,and could harm things..

I usually jack up the rear wheels and let them spin after the tranny is full,and shift it thru all the gears..that ensures all the passages in the tranny are "bled" and also on a fresh rebuilt one,it helps ensure the clutches get full presure before any "load" is applied to them..one old timer tranny rebuilder I knew said he wouldn't gaurantee any tranny HE built,unless that procedure was followed after installation!..he used to fix many of mine I'd pull out and replace myself..wish he hadn't passed away,I miss him..he was a good guy to know,and did good work very reasonably..