Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th400 Help Wanted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74BBPowerHouse, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Hey I got a ? for you. No one seems to be able to give me the answer im looking for. I have my 74 with the built 454. Well i got 120 miles on the break in and blew the tranny up. It has a th350 and 205 right now. I want to convert it to a th400. What th400's will work for me? I see long shaft and short shafts (dont know the difference). If you know of anybody with one in my area (OREGON) i need the tranny with adapter for a 205 and the linkage im assuming? correct me if im wrong. I just need to know exactly what to get...Thanks for the help.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Nov 1, 2004
    to go th400 swap you need kick down switch setup for gas pedel.
    and then 400 case with the correct 4x4 shaft. also the 400 to 205 adaptor. then need a 32 spline input and have the tcase bored out for the bigger bearing that the 32 spline takes. and a few other goodys.

i have lots of friends running 454 and th350s . if it is built correctly it should hold up.

what happened to yours ? and how was it built. ?

dont forget 400 takes 20 more hp to spin threw bigger parts eating power. also the first and second gear is not as deep.