Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 in place of 4L60E, gotta question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ben427, Jun 2, 2003.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

If i were to put a th400 in place of a 4l60E, would the computer be happy with all the tranny stuff unhooked? Would it frig up the engine controls? i doubt it will but want confirmation on this. ive put two 4L60's in my 95 in 15,000 kms and its gone yet again, dont wanna have any more problems.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not a 4l80e? Ultra beef and you get OD as well as keeping your computer happy...

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah that would be nice, but the going rate for those is about 1200 used with no warranty, and i have a couple th400s kickin around. I may have no choice but to go 4l80e, im just exploring my options.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The same computer that controls the engine also controls the 4L60E. You might be able to swap out the computer for one from a manual-trans truck and have it work properly. The computer you have now is not gonna be happy when it can't communicate with the 4L60E any longer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think that 1995 was the first year for OBD II computer systems, but since you're in Canada, it's possible that you still have an earlier OBD I computer. With an OBD I computer you could just change the chip. But I think you have to swap out the whole computer with the correct one if you have an OBD II system (or find out if a Power Programmer will reprogram an auto-tranny computer to think it's a manual tranny computer).

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

96 was first year of OBD-II /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Interesting. Somewhere I read that GM started phasing in OBD II in '94, but our '94 Sub is OBD I. But if it's an OBD I computer then swapping in a chip for a manual-trans application would most likely work. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif