Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 kick down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrdrinksalil, Apr 3, 2007.

1. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm swaping in a TH400 and is the single electrical prong on the drivers side of the trans for the kick down? I don't have the switch by the pedal, but if I install one, how do I wire it in? Do I even need it? help please!

2. tlspeed

tlspeed Registered Member

Yes, the electric prong is the kick down for the trans. I believe all you have to do is send 12V to it and it will kick down. You will need it if you are highway driving, if you dont, when you put the foot to the floor it will not shift down and could wreck the tranny. For wheeling only, my friend has his hooked up to is B&M shifter so when he shifts in first gear, it hits a push button, and holds the tranny in first. If you shift manually up and down, I dont think it is needed.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You won't hurt anything by not running it. You simply won't get kickdown when you want to pass/accelerate while moving.

It is annoying not to have it, but not required.

You could certainly run it as-is until you can find a switch setup. AFAIK anything with a TH400 uses a switch setup. There is a post a few weeks or months back about this exact issue, I believe some or all cars had a switch at the carb, while the trucks were on the pedal. Shouldn't be THAT hard to find the switch in the 70's trucks. Even if the wires are cut it isn't a complex setup.

4. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

ok, sounds good. I think I read that post it just didn't say anything about how it was wired in. I guess i can always hook up a push button switch to kick down when I wanted to "hammer down".... thanks for the info.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's an automatic, why make any other part of it manual? :)