Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th400 / NP203 input gear o.d. for Doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarussell, Jan 11, 2003.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am in need of the input gear o.d. ( the part that goes through the bearing )on a NP203 that has A TH400 32 spline.
    If anyone has this deminsion please share.
    TIA , Tom

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thought they were all the same.
    I will look up a number for you if i can

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I only show a single input bearing listed #9422715
    I also only saw input gears for manual tranny #344276 and t350 #6259040

can you list a model and year for me to search

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

In my parts break down I only saw the bearing # 09422715 too , but I did not trust that there was only one size.
    The only gear #'s that I had were the TH350 one that you listed and the TH400 one part # 00376270. They both show to use the same bearing so - since you show the same info I'll asume that the o.d. is all the same.
    Do you know if that bearing # is the same one used in the 32 spline 205 ? I don't have my 205 paper work with me .
    If they are all the same than I don't need the actual o.d. size - I was just making sure that I had enough meat to open up the spline size for the 35 spline shaft.
    It looks like all of the gears will work one way or another , but I would rather sacrafice a 27 spline gear instead of a more valuable 32 spline piece.
    Thanks for the info , Tom

P.S. I don't remember the year of my donor 203 but it is a 27 spline and a bolt on yoke w/ a flat flange on the front output so I assume that it is a 1977 to 1979.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so you are having the 27 spliner broached to 35 spline?
    I would like to hear your findings on the spline type etc
    broaching costs? who is doing it?

sorry I came in late here.
    if you have already stated this elsewhere a link to the discussion would be appreciated

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll be using some contacts at work to get the broching done so it will be free , or atleast dollar wise, it's good to have friends that are "true machinest" that owe you favors. I am using the short 35 spline shaft because of the finner splines to cut down on the slop of the drivetrain and it is really short.
    I have the pieces to do a factory 32 spline set up ( 465/208 shaft w/ 6 bolt adapter )but that will be really long and I don't want that. I figure w/ the 35 slpine at the front and the 32 spline at the rear of the doubler than I will minimize the slop effect as much as possible.

The parts that I am getting from you are going to be put to good use - they will be my first doubler and than go into a different truck once the 35 spline stuff is ready.
    P.S. I just reread your post - I don't know the pressure angle of the invaluted splines yet but I'll be using the original yoke to identify the spline type. Once I get that far I will let you know.
    Thanks for the interest , Tom

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my concerns on that is the extremely tight fitting splines of the yoke may differ considerably from what is used on shaft couplers.
    definitely no slop.
    I havent yet grilled any of the resident machinists on here about the subject but it has been on my thoughts to hit up Donovan for some info

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Check the 10-spline input on that 203 for stickout!

The adapter is what 4" thick? The stickout on a 10-spline the 465 can't be more than 2". So either it has a female input that sticks out of the 203, or it uses a drive-sleeve and a male input.

I'm not sure which 203 input gear you're broaching out to 35-spline, but make damn sure the 35-spline sm465 output reaches the 203 input gear!

Here's a pic of a Ford 203... I was just thinking if this input got punched out to 35-spline, the 2wd 465 shaft probably wouldn't reach.
    [​IMG]

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Good point on the tight spline fit on the yoke. I'll have a talk w/ the guy doing the cutting to get some feed back- but I am all ears if anyone on this board has some machinest info......

The 27 spline that I intend to get cut does stick out a bit , but I will loose some of the protrusion(sp) do to the end being to thin at the beginning.I will know how thick( or I should say how thin )the adapter will need to be when I get to spend some quality time in the garage. I am thinking that I need a minimum of an 1-1/2" spline engagement. What do Ya'll think ?