Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400+NP203

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by realsquash, Apr 3, 2001.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I looked high and low, and I can't find a definative answer to this question. I want to know if a TH400 that had an NP203 and a TH400 that had an NP205 have the same output shafts. I gather that they are both 32 splines, they both require the short shaft, and the adaptor->400 case pattern is the same.

Thanks,

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a 400/203 combo sitting on my floor now. I just sold a 400/205 combo in Jan. They have the same spline count, but the shaft sticks out further on the 205 than the 203. If I remember right, the 205 shafts sticks out about 4 inches. Not sure here, but definitely know the 203 shaft is shorter than the 205. Ask Stephen, he can tell you the exact answers.

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

See that is the other thing that I have discovered but forgot to post. There are 2 output shafts for the NP205 version TH400. A long and a short!

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

4. BIGCHEVY

BIGCHEVY Registered Member

the output shaft on the th400 that bolts to the 203 is a 32 spline short shaft. i know this from experience. i just took my th400 np203 out of my truck today. it is definately the short shaft. hope this helps ya!:):)

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,YOU AIN'T TRYING HARD ENUFF

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

ON my t400 and 203 combo the shaft on the tranny sticks out about a 1 1/2 inch.The t400 205 version that i have seen the shaft stuck out about 4 inchs.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

So, if we agree the output shaft for the 400/203 is 1.5" and the output shaft for the 400/205 is 4", does it stand to reason that you could cut off the 4" shaft..... if going to the doubler??
    Or, would there be an issue of the placement of the splines?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I doubt anybody should ever try to attempt this procedure. The heat generated from the saw blade is enough to weaken the hardened shaft. You would also have to dress up the splines from the burrs from the cut.
    I have seen someone cut the shaft on a car tranny to fit a truck 4x4 and it did not last. Guess the vibrating saw messed up the pump somehow. The guy pulled that tranny out three times and messed with it and installed it back in each time. Today that truck is parked with the tranny and t-case OUT of the truck. Reason enough NOT to try any cutting of any sort.

8. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

If you are able to get the shaft out of the tranny, use a band saw and lots of oil and it probably won't get too hot.
    Russ V

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

The problem with cutting off the shaft is not a heat issue, its about having not enough spline contact when your done! I think the lenghts that the others posted were correct or close to it @ 1.5 on the 203 and 4" on the 205 TH400s. So that means you would have to cut 2.5" of spline off the shaft and thats probably not going to leave much spline left to engage the input on the transfer if any that all!!! The only way to do it correctly is to change the output in the tranny and that requirers taking it down to the bare case.
    RGF