Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 or 4L80E Which is better?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OL14BLAZ, Nov 14, 2002.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Does anyone in here run the 480LE in their K5 or truck? How much trouble is it took hook one up with the computer and all? Or would a TH400 be better? I would like to keep an overdrive in my K5 for thoughs long trips to the trail, until I can get a tow rig. Any thoughts, opinions and experciences on this would be appreciated.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: TH400 or 480LE Which is better?

The 4L80E is awesome, but you're looking at around three grand to put one in. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's basically a Turbo 400 that has been re-engineered to have overdrive, so it's very stout. But they cost big bucks and then you have to have the harness and computer to make it operate. You can pick up a used Turbo 400 for $250-500. The money you save will buy a LOT of gasoline. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I wonder what the chances are of picking up one through a wrecking yard are with low mileage? What years do they come in? I bought a GM reman for my 1997 1/2ton z71 for 1325.00 last year, I guess the harness and computer would run the price up on that idea?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I think you'd want a computer/harness set up from a diesel. It is a simpler, more streamlined set up since it doesn't have connecters for the engine controls and such.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd end up buying one of the standalone controllers for it.

Although I mean no offense to anyone that is already running the stand alone stuff, if stock the 4L80E uses sensors such as TPS, and the stand alone doesn't, it won't be the same.

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 4L80E in my K5 - running the factory computer with the 454 TBI system.

I have another 4L80E - paid 750 for - good runner with NP241 and the adapter. I bought a used standalone TCI controller - programable for 350. This unit is going into my K30 6.2NA or my 78 Sub with BBC. I looked high and low for a diesel controller from 93 - found one with the harness for 450- very hard to come by. All the aftermarket controllers I looked at use the TPS and VSS inputs for their program. They do get pretty pricy brand new 800+. Be patient there are good deals out there if you look and wait.

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess I didn't respond to all your questions. The trouble to hook it up is subjective, if you can do simple wire crimping and soldering and read an auto wiring diagram you can easily do it. IMO a TH400 is neither better or worse, it is different - as in NO Overdrive, do you want or need an Overdrive? Other overdrive options are available: Gearvendors, US gear, 700R4, etc. "I" think 4L80Es are strong, reliable, and worth the "effort" to learn about and install. But it also depends on what "you" think is worthwhile or "interesting". I very much would like to have a Gearvendors setup on one of my trucks, BUT this latest 4L80E trany came my way, AND it was cheaper for "me" at the time than going with a used gearvendors. I also by the way run a TH400 in my K30 and a TH400 in my 78 Sub - they are great trany's.

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Well I called Jet Transmisson they said they could sell me a complete package to install it in my K5 for about $3800. I think I will try and find that good deal and just hope my 700R4 doesn't take a big ol crap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Might think about building a TH400 and just plan on stopping by more gas stations. Which the TH400 was my orginal plan, just thought the 4L80E might be an option. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for everyones advice and suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

Did you ever get a chance to weigh one? Are they as heavy as I've heard they are? TH400's are kind of heavy, but not THAT bad, I'd heard the 4L80E's are just incredibly heavy. Always been curious about that.

10. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I Hear the art carr 700r4s are good up to 700hp, might look into that so its a direct bolt in.

11. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into rebuilding you 700R4? I know a lot of people do not like them. I know they were pretty much junk out of the factory, but like everything else, it should be stronger after a rebuild. The one in my '83 Jimmy was stronger.

I would do some shopping and talking on finding a strong rebuild kit, including a stout Torque conveter. Invest in putting a shift kit in at time of rebuild, cheaper that way. Then get a big old tranny cooler, 23K+ GVW ought to do about right. Should be good to go after that.

Just my .02

12. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

VisionxOrb and Muley I haven't looked into rebuilding my 700R4 cause when I bought this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif the transmission had been rebuilt about 13000 miles ago and it is already giving me prolbems. But it was probably not rebuilt with any beefy parts, it's just everyone I have talked too recommends a TH400 for my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

I might give Art Carr a call and talk to them about what they can offer for rebuild kit, I don't think I will ever have a 700 horse motor in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif so that might be the way to go.

I will just do some more research before I make a final decision on which way to go.

13. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

Are there any websites that sell parts to beef up a 700?? I'd like to know because I'm considering doing this myself. Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. dyeager535

www.pro-built.net sells 2004R stuff, I *think* he's got some 700 stuff too. Was a good guy to deal with, and his shift kit was reasonable and a good setup.

Not sure who else, but doing a google search for 700R4 upgrade parts or similar should net you a million places selling parts for them.