Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 pros ever heard of this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Md mudder, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a th400/208 from a cucv in a 67 IH travall just bought it has a b&m racing shifter when he puts it in drive it it takes off in 2nd he rolls slow in 2nd pulls the shifter to first the rear tires lock up. pull the shifter to 1st from a stop it won't move just rev. acts like to me that the 1st gear is locked but I have never heard of this in a auto. any ideas?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like he's got the shifter mounted incorrectly or it's a reverse pattern shifter and what he thinks is 1st is really PARK!!

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah something ain't right.

Get under the truck and disconnect the shifting linkage.
    Start up the truck and with one guy holding the brake!
    ... Get under there and manually shift the detent lever so you can find out Which direction the P-R-N-3-2-1 OR P-R-N-1-2-3 if it's a reverse shifting valve body. You won't be able to figure out if its 123 or 321 without taking it for a drive while leaving it in one of those positions.

You said that he puts it in Drive or the 3rd gear position and it takes off in 2nd? usually manual valve bodys will take off in whatever gear it is in... like if you leave it in 3rd it will take off in third not 1st.

It sounds like the shifter cable linkage is messed up or not adjusted properly..

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=408>Here's instructions how to adjust the Shifter cable. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif</a>

Hope this helps dude.

4. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

If the linkage thing does not work out, it might be with the shift kit. What I am implying is not that the kit is bad but the guy who installed it messed it up. A friend of mine "finished" putting a Th400 that we started to rebuild. Started, ran ok had 1 and 2 but 3 was a dead lockup. He "added" an extra spacer plate on me. Took it out, trannys OK!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

thanks for the ideas I'll try disconecting the cable and put it in first at the shift lever