Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I've searched and read countless posts on the subject but I think I am more confused now than before. :o

Here's what I got:
    Built Th400 with 32 spline output. (see pic)
    The shaft extends out of the tail housing about 3/4" or so. Total Shaft length from the rear of the main case is just shy of 5".

What do I need to do to mate it to a NP208 with 27 spline input? Can I swap the input on the xfer case and be good to go? I'm confused about the length issues of the output shaft on the tranny. OR is it cheaper to just find a NP205? Again, output shaft dimension confusion...

All the posts that answer similar questions say to get a TH400 originally mated to my xfer case. Not an option in this case. I have to use the tranny I have.

Help!

Thanks

100_0416.JPG

2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

yes you can just swap inputs on gm np208's. or you could find a divorced 205 (out of a dodge or IHC).

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That output shaft is correct for a 2wd, and also an 80-84 TH400/NP205 combo - thats it.

NP208 used a shorter shaft, NP203 used an even shorter shaft.

4. SkysTheLimit

Here's the problem I had doing the search... Who's right?

Can I find a 80-84 NP205 and be done with it or am I going to have cut the end off the shaft?

Thanks guys.

Before too long, I may just have to drop my t-case and take it to the transmission guy and just say here. make it work. :D

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Yes, You can find a 80-84 NP205; They're scarce, but I know MEK5, among others, can build you one. The adapter is going to cost almost as much as a fresh 205($2-300). That's the best way to utilize your tranny in it's current form.
    In order to run a NP208 (or 241), you'll have to change the output shaft, which means complete dissasembly of the tranny.
    I would venture a guess that you will drop at least 7 bills before you are through if you go NP205, but it will be worth it.
    Hope this helps.
    Jimbo

6. SkysTheLimit

Well yuck. I was trying to get out of this cheap... I did just as I was typing get a call from my transmission guy so let me bounce this off you guys:

$315 for a 700 to 400 change over kit. Kit includes, output shaft, adapter, dipstick, tube, seals, gaskets, etc, etc. everything you need to swap a 700r4 to a th400.

Then he'll charge me 100 bucks to tear the tranny down, inspect and swap shaft.

Under $500 and i should be good to go and up and running. Whatcha think?

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

There was a guy over on pirate who had two TH400/NP205 combos for sale worth the $. You might look at one of those, tell him to keep the 400, and you've got the adapter and 205 shipped for about the same $; and it's a MUCH stronger setup.
    Jimbo
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488037

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you need i can measure the shaft stick out on my 400 that was setup for 80-84 style 205.

9. SkysTheLimit

I appreciate that, won't be necessary. I also appreciate all the info from the others. This is really a great resource for those of us who aren't such experienced wrenchers.

I don't really have the fundage to make the change just yet so I'm going to run the 700R4 I have until it blows up. I don't do any crawling and won't be going on long trips so it should last a few months at least. I'll throw a big cooler on it and maybe that will help a little. That will allow me to meet "other" (wife) deadlines. plus it's easier to beg for cash to fix something broken than to upgrade. :D

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

11. SkysTheLimit

That's an awesome diagram. thank you very much for posting it. I've saved that for future reference. :bow:

12. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Fixed it for ya!

th400shafts%2520002.jpg

13. SkysTheLimit

You guys are great. Thank you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'll post up some pics a little later.... I got my 496 out of the camaro. It's on a dolly in the garage now. My dad's auto crane made short work of the whole operation. :D